Quantcast

older sony usb remote receiver

B.J. Kramer
I have a usb dongle and remote from an older Sony VAIO desktop which
came with a GigaPocket TV board. I was wondering if I have a prayer of
getting the USB IR receiver to work with lirc (on a newer PC, BTW).

The remote model is RM-GP3U, and the USB IR receiver is PCVA-IR3U. I'm
not married to the remote, but I would like to use the receiver, if
possible. I don't know if this is useful, but the output of `lsusb` is:
        Bus 001 Device 003: ID 054c:0020 Sony Corp.
        Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I ran the setup script that came with 0.7.1, and I see that there are
quite a few USB devices supported, but not mine. Is it possible that
this device is compatible with one of the USB devices already supported?
Any idea how I can find out?

If not, is there anything a semi-linux-noob non-programmer like myself
can do to get it working, or should I just give up now and save myself
the grief?

Thanx,
-bj