Quantcast

lircd stops working after a while?

Greg Abbas
First of all, thank you!!! LIRC rocks. I got 0.7.0-r1 set up on gentoo
(with regular emerge) on a little VIA EPIA box running kernel 2.6.1. It
receives codes from my packard bell, which my python application reads
by opening up a socket on port 8765.

But I've got a question, because it's not working quite perfectly.
Sometimes (this has happened a couple of times so far, I haven't
figured out how to reproduce it yet) it'll stop decoding signals. mode2
shows that the device is still receiving them, but a "telnet localhost
8765" is silent. Any idea how to start debugging this? I tried
"/etc/init.d/lircd restart" but that didn't change anything.

Big TIA. -g.

Re: lircd stops working after a while?

Karsten Jeppesen

Greg Abbas wrote:

> But I've got a question, because it's not working quite perfectly.
> Sometimes (this has happened a couple of times so far, I haven't
> figured out how to reproduce it yet) it'll stop decoding signals.
> mode2 shows that the device is still receiving them, but a "telnet
> localhost 8765" is silent. Any idea how to start debugging this? I
> tried "/etc/init.d/lircd restart" but that didn't change anything.

This is a known error. Search the archives for that one. I don't recall
if it is solved in the newest version, but if not then there is
certainly a patch for it.

Karsten

Re: lircd stops working after a while?

Christoph Bartelmus
Hi!

Greg Abbas "[hidden email]" wrote:
[...]
> receives codes from my packard bell, which my python application reads
[...]
> Sometimes (this has happened a couple of times so far, I haven't
> figured out how to reproduce it yet) it'll stop decoding signals. mode2
> shows that the device is still receiving them, but a "telnet localhost
> 8765" is silent. Any idea how to start debugging this? I tried

Run lircd with at least -D3. Provide me the relevant parts of the log
when this happens.
This is *not* a known problem.

Christoph