lirc or drivers not working with kernel 4.12

lirc or drivers not working with kernel 4.12

VDR User
Hi.

I updated two Debian testing boxes to the latest stable kernel 4.12
today. One box uses the homebrew serial ir driver, the other uses
mceusb. Both use the lirc interface driver with IR to lirc bridge
enabled. Both boxes are using lircd compiled from git - the homebrew
serial ir using lirc 0.10.0-rc3, mceusb using lirc
0.9.5-devel.git+8c87a28.

Everything seems to initialize and connect fine but the remote doesn't
work. When tested with irw, nothing happens. I can boot into kernel
4.11.8 and everything works fine. I'm not sure if something is broken
in 4.12, or if maybe lirc needs to be updated to changes in 4.12, or
some other possibility. I'm not sure where to start for debugging this
or if anyone has any knowledge of why this is happening with kernel
4.12?

Thanks,
Derek

Re: lirc or drivers not working with kernel 4.12

Bengt Martensson-2
Alec is on vacation, so I will try to help/confuse instead.

On 07/04/17 02:49, VDR User wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I updated two Debian testing boxes to the latest stable kernel 4.12
> today. One box uses the homebrew serial ir driver,

lirc_serial, rite? If I understand things correctly, the "Linux media"
folks has been cleaning up (or "cleaning up", if you so prefer) the API,
leaving the serial driver inoperational. It is everything but a modern
solution worthy of usage in 2017 anyhow. Here
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=187222 is a
related thread.

I am not 100% sure if that it is exactly the reason that your driver
broke, but in any case, its days are numbered.

> the other uses
> mceusb.

This should be debuggable (possibly even usable?) without Lirc, using
ir-keytable.

Greetz,

Bengt

Re: lirc or drivers not working with kernel 4.12

VDR User
Just a quick update on this bug..  David Härdeman managed to track
down the offending commit (listed below) to ir-lirc-codec.c. I've
confirmed that reversing it fixes the problem. I'm not sure what the
final fix will be but anyone experiencing this problem can revert the
following and things should work again:

commit e8f4818895b3d7f34b3e5852bce77b3257a27ecc
Author: Sean Young <[hidden email]>
Date:   Wed Feb 8 20:48:17 2017 -0200

    [media] lirc: advertise LIRC_CAN_GET_REC_RESOLUTION and improve

    This feature was never set. The ioctl should fail if no resolution
    is set.

    Signed-off-by: Sean Young <[hidden email]>
    Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <[hidden email]>