lirc installation on raspberry pi running debian jessie

lirc installation on raspberry pi running debian jessie

mailing.list
Hi,

I'm having trouble installing lirc on a raspberry pi running debian jessie.

With the packaged (old) version 0.9.0, sending via command line tools irsend and receiving from a c program works, but I require sending from a c program using lirc_client API, so I would like to upgrade to >= 0.9.2.

I tried to follow http://www.lirc.org/html/install.html, with and without --prefix=/usr, without it appears everything gets installed but not in "default" paths, it seems "not properly" installed (pardon my missing expertise), with I get multiple errors during install, such as

Makefile:614: recipe for target 'install-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/lirc'
Makefile:919: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 2

When I run the demo c program from http://www.lirc.org/html/lirc_client.html, I get errors like
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory
Bad file descriptor

and lircd reports errors such as

lircd: can't open or create /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
lircd: No such file or directory

I suspect that my incorrect attempts to install lirc are the root cause of my problems, so I was hoping someone could provide me with the complete & correct options to run the following command sequence to "properly" install lirc

./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

and instructions what else needs to be done on a raspberry pi, configuration wise, so that I can use a >= 0.9.2 version (similar as I already can with packaged 0.9.0 only lacking sending via client API).

Many thanks in advance, highly appreciated!

Regards

Val