Quantcast

lirc doesn"t work under 2.6.12 kernel

Richard Caldwell
I am trying to use lirc with my have a home compiled 2.6.12.
It doesn't work!
It does work in 2611.
I re-compiled lirc and after looking at the lirc start up script, supplied by Debian,
it fails at:
/home/rich# modprobe -k lirc_dev

FATAL: Error inserting lirc_dev (/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Invalid module format

Sumit's up.
i have "Module versioning support " = Y in the kernel if that's even faintly relevent, after that I'm at the end of my knowledge....

Rich

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

Re: lirc doesn"t work under 2.6.12 kernel

Eli Crumrine
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:07:06 +0200 (CEST) | Richard Caldwell
<[hidden email]>

> /home/rich# modprobe -k lirc_dev
>
> FATAL: Error inserting lirc_dev (/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Invalid module
> format
>
> Sumit's up.
> i have "Module versioning support " = Y in the kernel if that's even faintly relevent,
> after that I'm at the end of my knowledge....
>
> Rich

That should be solvable by checking you have the correct /usr/src/linux symlink, and
making  sure you 'make clean' before rebuilding lirc, just to make sure it doesnt use any
.o files left over from a compile with a different kernel.

--

Fri:Jun:24:05
Eli Crumrine

Re: lirc doesn"t work under 2.6.12 kernel

Martin Jansa
On 21:07 Tue 21 Jun     , Richard Caldwell wrote:

> I am trying to use lirc with my have a home compiled 2.6.12.
> It doesn't work!
> It does work in 2611.
> I re-compiled lirc and after looking at the lirc start up script, supplied by Debian,
> it fails at:
> /home/rich# modprobe -k lirc_dev
>
> FATAL: Error inserting lirc_dev (/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Invalid module format
>
> Sumit's up.
> i have "Module versioning support " = Y in the kernel if that's even faintly relevent, after that I'm at the end of my knowledge....
>
> Rich
If you try recompile lirc with /usr/src/linux linked to new 2.6.12, you
probably get error about missing header files (devfs was removed in
last version of kernel).

After copying missing header files, you can compile modules, but with
unresolved symbols.

If there isn't patch for removing devfs part from lirc, I'll try to
make something usefull.

--
Martin Jansa          UIN: 136542059        JID: [hidden email]
             You know what the problem with Windows is?

Problems with lircd and Fedora FC4 w/2.6.12.1 kernel

Robert La Ferla
I still can't get lirc to fully work under Fedora Core 4 and the
2.6.12.1 kernel.  I am using the latest CVS for lirc.  If I run irw, I
can see that LIRC is recognizing my remote presses but it's not calling
irexec.  I have a .lircrc file but it's as if lircd isn't finding it or
something.  How can I diagnose/fix this?

Re: Problems with lircd and Fedora FC4 w/2.6.12.1 kernel

Robert La Ferla
Nevermind.  I got it to work.  I'm not sure what did the trick but I
think Fedora wanted a full path to irexec or I needed a /etc/lircrc or
something...

Re: Re: lirc doesn"t work under 2.6.12 kernel

Richard Caldwell

 On 21:07 Tue 21 Jun     , Richard Caldwell wrote:
 > I am trying to use lirc with my have a home compiled 2.6.12.
 > It doesn't work!
 > It does work in 2611.
 > I re-compiled lirc and after looking at the lirc start up script, supplied by Debian,
 > it fails at:
 > /home/rich# modprobe -k lirc_dev
 >
 > FATAL: Error inserting lirc_dev (/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Invalid module format
 >
 > Sumit's up.
 > i have "Module versioning support " = Y in the kernel if that's even faintly relevent, after that I'm at the end of my knowledge....
 >
 > Rich

 If you try recompile lirc with /usr/src/linux linked to new 2.6.12, you
 probably get error about missing header files (devfs was removed in
 last version of kernel).

 After copying missing header files, you can compile modules, but with
 unresolved symbols.

 If there isn't patch for removing devfs part from lirc, I'll try to
 make something usefull.

 --
 Martin Jansa          UIN: 136542059        JID: [hidden email]
              You know what the problem with Windows is?
  You can't compile it from source, and that makes it sooo boooring...
 Jaky je rozdil mezi Windows a Tamagoci? Windows zahynou i kdyz se o ne staras!

Hi Martin
Thanks for the reply,
I'm still having no luck here with 2.6.12
as far as I can tell I never had devfs in 2.6.11 and still don't in '12

I also tried what was sugested by Eli, however it made no difference, I already had ln -s linux-2.6.12 linux. And make clean made no difference....???

Erm, what else..... there were no obvious warnings regarding missing headers either.
When I switch back ro 2.6.11 and 2.6.10 the installation is fine...
Mmmmmm..Rich

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

On 20:13 Tue 28 Jun     , Richard Caldwell wrote:

> Hi Martin
> Thanks for the reply,
> I'm still having no luck here with 2.6.12
> as far as I can tell I never had devfs in 2.6.11 and still don't in '12
>
> I also tried what was sugested by Eli, however it made no difference, I already had ln -s linux-2.6.12 linux. And make clean made no difference....???
>
> Erm, what else..... there were no obvious warnings regarding missing headers either.
> When I switch back ro 2.6.11 and 2.6.10 the installation is fine...
> Mmmmmm..Rich
Hi Richard

I have done patch removing all devfs stuff in lirc if kernel version is
newer than 2.6.11, but then I have found this:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-353404-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-nitro-start-25.html
bottom of the 2nd page

Tiger683 wrote:
ebuild:
lirc-0.7.1-r33.ebuild
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uyavl/public/nitro-sources/2.6.12-nitro1/lirc-0.7.1-r33.ebuild
patch only:
lirc-0.7.1-class_simple-patch1-from_nitro.diff
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uyavl/public/nitro-sources/2.6.12-nitro1/lirc-0.7.1-class_simple-patch1-from_nitro.diff

This works too, You only need to copy 2 header files from .11 kernel
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h
and
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/devfs_fs.h

Then I was able to build modules lirc_dev and lirc_gpio. Insert them
without Unresolved symbols error and everything works fine.

If anybody wants my more general patch to lirc, I can finished it and
post here.