lirc and mplayer

cristian
Hi,

I can't use media keys of my laptop (play/pause, stop, ...) when I listen to audio files by mplayer. If I watch a video using mplayer, media keys work. So, I was suggested trying to use lirc with mplayer.

I've looked at lirc website and documentation but I've not exactly figured out what steps I've to follow, yet.

What should I do in order to achieve this task? Any ideas?

Regards,

Cristian.

Re: lirc and mplayer

Alec Leamas

On 24/04/17 19:30, cristian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't use media keys of my laptop (play/pause, stop, ...) when I listen to audio files by mplayer. If I watch a video using mplayer, media keys work. So, I was suggested trying to use lirc with mplayer.
>
> I've looked at lirc website and documentation but I've not exactly figured out what steps I've to follow, yet.
>
> What should I do in order to achieve this task? Any ideas?

Basically:

   - Install LIRC
   - Configure it. This is the major task, described in [1]. It ends up
in successful irw(1) output. This is generic, same for all clients.
   - Add a mplayer lircrc file. The lirc distribution has a starting
point, but you probably need to adapt it, see [2]
   - Debug using ircat(1). This will show  mplayer-specific commands for
each button press.
   - Activate the LIRC support in mplayer (sorry, no details...).

LIRC brings a lot of flexibility, but it comes to a price - be prepared
to spend some time configuring it.

HTH

--alec

[1] http://lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html
[2] http://lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html#key-symbols-to-app-strings

Re: lirc and mplayer

LIRC mailing list
On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 14:45:02 +0200
Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Basically:
>
>    - Install LIRC
>    - Configure it. This is the major task, described in [1]. It ends up
> in successful irw(1) output. This is generic, same for all clients.

Hi, thanks for the answer. I've read carefully all the http://lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html guide (without Appendixes) but I don't know exactly what I should do, in my particular case.

Waiting for a reply,

Regards,

Cristian.

Re: lirc and mplayer

On 23/06/17 19:04, cristian via LIRC-list wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 14:45:02 +0200
> Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Basically:
>>
>>     - Install LIRC
>>     - Configure it. This is the major task, described in [1]. It ends up
>> in successful irw(1) output. This is generic, same for all clients.
>
> Hi, thanks for the answer. I've read carefully all the http://lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html guide (without Appendixes) but I don't know exactly what I should do, in my particular case.

Well, the first thing is to install and configure lirc according to the
reference and get irwU(1) running. I cannot really explain this much
more here, unless you have more specific questions. There is nothing in
your particular case which is special to that point.

Once irw is running you have a basic lirc installation in place. You
then need to create a lircrc file which mplayer uses to map remote
buttons to mplayer command strings. This is basically explained in {1],
although you need to use 'prog = mplayer'. To debug you use ircat(1)

One ircat gives the expected output, you're  done and mplayer should
work as expected

When creating the lircrc file, lirc-config-tool(1) could possibly be
helpful by creating a mplayer lircrc template for your remote.

Re: lirc and mplayer

LIRC mailing list
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 11:20:33 +0200
Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, the first thing is to install and configure lirc according to the
> reference and get irwU(1) running. I cannot really explain this much
> more here, unless you have more specific questions. There is nothing in
> your particular case which is special to that point.

Hi, thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, devinput.lircd.dist file doesn't exist (also, lircd.conf.d directory is not available inside /etc/lirc) and I've no ideas how to generate it (lirc-make-devinput does not even exist).

The following command:

lircd --device /dev/input/event4 --driver devinput

returns:

lircd: can't open or create /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
lircd: No such file or directory

and irw command, returns:

connect: No such file or directory

(btw, sudo ir-keytable -t -d /dev/input/event4 command detects scan codes and key symbols)

I don't know how to get irw running.

Waiting for a reply,

Regards,

Cristian.