Quantcast

lirc and mplayer

cristian
Hi,

I can't use media keys of my laptop (play/pause, stop, ...) when I listen to audio files by mplayer. If I watch a video using mplayer, media keys work. So, I was suggested trying to use lirc with mplayer.

I've looked at lirc website and documentation but I've not exactly figured out what steps I've to follow, yet.

What should I do in order to achieve this task? Any ideas?

Regards,

Cristian.

Re: lirc and mplayer

Alec Leamas

On 24/04/17 19:30, cristian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't use media keys of my laptop (play/pause, stop, ...) when I listen to audio files by mplayer. If I watch a video using mplayer, media keys work. So, I was suggested trying to use lirc with mplayer.
>
> I've looked at lirc website and documentation but I've not exactly figured out what steps I've to follow, yet.
>
> What should I do in order to achieve this task? Any ideas?

Basically:

   - Install LIRC
   - Configure it. This is the major task, described in [1]. It ends up
in successful irw(1) output. This is generic, same for all clients.
   - Add a mplayer lircrc file. The lirc distribution has a starting
point, but you probably need to adapt it, see [2]
   - Debug using ircat(1). This will show  mplayer-specific commands for
each button press.
   - Activate the LIRC support in mplayer (sorry, no details...).

LIRC brings a lot of flexibility, but it comes to a price - be prepared
to spend some time configuring it.

HTH

--alec

[1] http://lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html