lirc-0.9.4d available

Alec Leamas
Greetings,

After the 0.9.4..0.9.4c releases it is time to release 0.9.4d, a
maintenance release. Major changes includes fixes to build lirc on more
platforms than linux.

Source packages are available at [1], Fedora  preview packages at [2]
and an Ubuntu PPA at [3]. The source packages includes a Debian source
tarball.

For those of you using Fedora or Debian official packages there is
little point update unless you have a specific problem. Most of the
patches in 0.9.4d are already present in the packages.

Special thanks to Craig Treleaven for his work with bringing lirc also
to MacOS. And of course Bengt Martensson for his invaluable support in
all kinds of issues.

Excerpt from NEWS (complete file at [4]):

  * The debian packaging means that freebsd and hurd builds are
    regularly tested, improving build stability.
  * A multitude of build patches, mostly after building on Debian:
     + Cross-compilation FTBS fixed (#233)
     + Fix configuration of configure (#234)
     + Fix library specification in lirc.pc (#236)
     + use HAVE_UINPUT=1 to force building uinput code (#238).
     + lib: Only use local headers in lirc_private.h (#237).
     + Configure libudev (#242)
     + Various kfreebsd fixes
     + Include config.h in installed headers (#250).
     + Fix _XOPEN_SOURCE related FTBS on some platforms (#248)
  * lib: Fix some lircrcd-related bugs (#254)
  * systemd: Fix wrong path to irexec (#239)
  * systemd: Add missing lircd-setup.service to distribution (#243)
  * lircd: Fix --listen option parsing [#249]
  * lircd: Fix segfault in SET_INPUTLOG without arguments (#252)
  * lircd: Fix DRV_OPTION error message handling (#256).
  * ircat: Fix option parsing bug + empty conditions (#251)
  * xmode2: Fix handling of --driver optio

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/lirc/files/LIRC/0.9.4d/

[2] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/leamas/lirc-0.9.4-preview/

[3] https://launchpad.net/~leamas-alec/+archive/ubuntu/lirc-0.9.4/+packages

[4] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/git/ci/release/tree/NEWS

Re: lirc-0.9.4d available

VDR User
Thanks guys!

Re: lirc-0.9.4d available

On 23/01/17 19:54, Project Director wrote:
> Alec:
>
> Does this " The source packages includes a Debian source tarball "  indicate
> that in order to use LIRC on Debian I must download and complile a
> tarball....?

Hi!

Please direct this kind of questions ti the lirc mailing list [1].

That said, the answer is 'it depends'. There are official 0.9.4 packages
for Debian Stretch (currently in testing and sid (the development
branch). Older versions has the 0.9.0 package which is quite different
in some respects but still perfectly usable.

Also, using the lirc-debian source packages is pretty straight-forward,
it's about following a rather detailed README. You probably shouldn't be
to worried about that.

All this said, to configure LIRC properly still is some work. If you
just need some basic IR remote support it might be that the IR support
built into the kernel might solve your usecase without involving lirc at
all.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman