irsend other remote codes using mceusb - totally stumped!

irsend other remote codes using mceusb - totally stumped!

Steve-2
Hi All,

I'm trying to use my mceusb via Lirc with IRSend to send signals to the other devices in my lounge, which I know must work but it won't for me and after spending all evening googling and trying different things out I thought the best thing to do is ask here!

What works so far:

1) Remote works, I'm using Kodi spin of Ubuntu and I can use the MCE remote via the mceusb box to control Kodi just fine
2) IRSend for the mceusb commands works fine, I can run irsend on the command line and the transmitter LEDs flash - e.g. by running:

"irsend send_once mceusb KEY_VOLUMEUP"

So I know the hardware is properly detected and works fine for this limited set of use cases.

What doesn't work:

1) I cannot use the mceusb to send commands for my TV, Amp etc.

What have I tried?

1) I've added an additional "include" line into the /etc/lirc/lircd.conf file to include the configuration information needed for my Samsung telly:

include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/samsung/lircd.conf.samsung"

2) I then try and send a volume command using:

irsend send_once samsung KEY_VOLUMEUP

And I get the error message:

irsend: command failed: send_once samsung KEY_VOLUMEUP
irsend: transmission failed

In syslog I see:

Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: accepted new client on /run/lirc/lircd
Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: invalid send buffer
Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: this remote configuration cannot be used to transmit
Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: error processing command: send_once samsung KEY_VOLUMEUP
Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: transmission failed
Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: removed client

I assume it must be possible to send other remote commands out via the mceusb sender, but I'm clearly missing some step as to how I make this whole thing work. Do I need to do something to ensure that the mceusb is used for sending the samsung commands? If so which configuration option do I need to use?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Stephen.

Re: irsend other remote codes using mceusb - totally stumped!

Alec Leamas

On 30/12/16 22:24, Steve wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to use my mceusb via Lirc with IRSend to send signals to the
> other devices in my lounge, which I know must work but it won't for me
> and after spending all evening googling and trying different things out
.samsung"

> 2) I then try and send a volume command using:
>
> irsend send_once samsung KEY_VOLUMEUP
>
> And I get the error message:
>
> irsend: command failed: send_once samsung KEY_VOLUMEUP
> irsend: transmission failed
>
> In syslog I see:
>
> Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: accepted new client on

Hi!

Sorry to say, but 0.9.0 is a really old version and to be frank I havn't
a faintest idea what this could be. What's your platform/OS?

I'm not saying that an update would just resolve whatever problems are
involved here. But  it would make it so much easier to try to understand
what's going on.

Re: irsend other remote codes using mceusb - totally stumped!

Steve-2
Hi,

This is kodibuntu - which going to their web page now appears to be unsupported and out of date - yay!

it's a debian jessie/sid based release and I guess it is pretty old now, it's been working for ages so I've not touched it!

Kernel is:

~# uname -a
Linux louge 3.13.0-54-generic #91-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 26 19:15:08 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I don't really want to upgrade / re-install the whole thing, but if you think this is just likely to be a bug due to an old version of lirc then I can try.

I was hoping I'd just missed some obvious piece of configuration that was needed to send the Samsung commands via the mceusb adapter :(

On 30/12/16 22:52, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is kodibuntu - which going to their web page now appears to be
> unsupported and out of date - yay!
>
> it's a debian jessie/sid based release and I guess it is pretty old now,
> it's been working for ages so I've not touched it!

First, for the sake of the archive sanity: please don't top-post...

Secondly: Current lirc is 0.9.4. This is based on updated kernels and
overall os, so I don't think it's reasonable to install it on the system
you have. Also, it's a breaking update with a new configuration setup.
In short, it's some work.

But without an update I don't what to say. Perhaps you could try "irsend
list" to check what remote configurations lircd has discovered. IIRC,
0.9.0 doesn't even allow debug logging without recompilation....

Re: irsend other remote codes using mceusb - totally stumped!

Bengt Martensson-2
On 12/30/16 22:24, Steve wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to use my mceusb via Lirc with IRSend to send signals to the
> other devices in my lounge, which I know must work but it won't for me
> and after spending all evening googling and trying different things out
> I thought the best thing to do is ask here!
>
> What works so far:

> 2) IRSend for the mceusb commands works fine, I can run irsend on the
> command line and the transmitter LEDs flash - e.g. by running:
>
> "irsend send_once mceusb KEY_VOLUMEUP"
>
> So I know the hardware is properly detected and works fine for this
> limited set of use cases.
>
> What doesn't work:
>
> 1) I cannot use the mceusb to send commands for my TV, Amp etc.

> Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: accepted new client on
> /run/lirc/lircd
> Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: invalid send buffer
> Dec 30 20:45:17 louge lircd-0.9.0[680]: this remote configuration cannot
> be used to transmit

This means that your lircd cannot properly render the IR signal you are
requesting. Either lircd.conf is broken, or lircd cannot make sense of
the very remote/command (i.e., it is broken).

Greetz,

Bengt

On 30 December 2016 at 22:02, Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 30/12/16 22:52, Steve wrote:
Hi,

This is kodibuntu - which going to their web page now appears to be
unsupported and out of date - yay!

it's a debian jessie/sid based release and I guess it is pretty old now,
it's been working for ages so I've not touched it!

First, for the sake of the archive sanity: please don't top-post...

Secondly: Current lirc is 0.9.4. This is based on updated kernels and overall os, so I don't think it's reasonable to install it on the system you have. Also, it's a breaking update with a new configuration setup. In short, it's some work.

But without an update I don't what to say. Perhaps you could try "irsend list" to check what remote configurations lircd has discovered. IIRC, 0.9.0 doesn't even allow debug logging without recompilation....

So I've re-installed latest version of Ubuntu LTS, discovered this still comes with lirc 0.9.0. Behaviour was the same as last install (not surprising)

After googling I found your PPA:

And installed Lirc 0.9.4

This just didn't work at all, irw shows nothing, lirc-setup just breaks with python stack traces, first was about YAML which I fixed by installing python3-yaml but then says it can'f find "Configs:../configs"

Would you expect lirc-0.9.4 to work from your PPA?

Any instructions on how to actually setup and configure it? I found this:

But couldn't figure out how to actually configure it from those instructions.

Cheers,

Stephen.

(sending to mailing list as reply went just to you and I didn't realise)