controlling Sony BDP-S1500 Blue-ray player

controlling Sony BDP-S1500 Blue-ray player

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
I have a BDP-S1500, one of the newer Sony Blue-ray players.  I can get a
decent lirc file for the remote, RMT-VB100U, but I can't control the player,
either with the actual results or with a cleaned up version.

Has anyone been able to control one of these players?

peter

Re: controlling Sony BDP-S1500 Blue-ray player

Bengt Martensson-2
> I have a BDP-S1500, one of the newer Sony Blue-ray players.  I can get a
> decent lirc file for the remote, RMT-VB100U, but I can't control the player,
> either with the actual results or with a cleaned up version.
>
> Has anyone been able to control one of these players?

Sony devices are in general very forgiving and easy to IR-control. By
Sony, the IR-codes are in general constant over several device
generations. You can get the codes on internet in many different formats
(one is https://irdb.globalcache.com/Home/Database) , and if needed
transformed them to Lirc using IrScrutinizer.

If you give a decent description of your problem, chances are that we
can help.

On 01/20/2016 12:17 PM, Bengt Martensson wrote:

>> I have a BDP-S1500, one of the newer Sony Blue-ray players.  I can get a
>> decent lirc file for the remote, RMT-VB100U, but I can't control the player,
>> either with the actual results or with a cleaned up version.
>>
>> Has anyone been able to control one of these players?
>
> Sony devices are in general very forgiving and easy to IR-control. By
> Sony, the IR-codes are in general constant over several device
> generations. You can get the codes on internet in many different formats
> (one is https://irdb.globalcache.com/Home/Database) , and if needed
> transformed them to Lirc using IrScrutinizer.
>
> If you give a decent description of your problem, chances are that we
> can help.

What I have is several lirc control files for Sony Blue-ray players.  I got a
couple from the web, including
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/sony/RMT-B101A.  I put together one using
irrecord off the remote that I have for the player.  All the control files
look compatible and look like standard Sony control files.

However, when I put together an lircd.conf from these I can't control the
player.  Everything looks OK - no errors, the IRblaster flashes, clear
line-of-sight, etc., etc., but the player doesn't respond to commands from
lirc.  I can control my other devices, just not this one.

This is all very mysterious to me.  I've been using lirc for quite some time,
even controlling other Sony devices and building my own control files for a
couple of devices. So I was asking whether anyone had had success for this
particular player or similar players.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose the failure?

On 02/15/2016 05:54 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> On 01/20/2016 12:17 PM, Bengt Martensson wrote:
>> On 01/16/16 23:55, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>> I have a BDP-S1500, one of the newer Sony Blue-ray players.  I can get a
>>> decent lirc file for the remote, RMT-VB100U, but I can't control the player,
>>> either with the actual results or with a cleaned up version.
>>>
>>> Has anyone been able to control one of these players?
>>
>> Sony devices are in general very forgiving and easy to IR-control. By
>> Sony, the IR-codes are in general constant over several device
>> generations. You can get the codes on internet in many different formats
>> (one is https://irdb.globalcache.com/Home/Database) , and if needed
>> transformed them to Lirc using IrScrutinizer.
>>
>> If you give a decent description of your problem, chances are that we
>> can help.
>
> What I have is several lirc control files for Sony Blue-ray players.  I got a
> couple from the web, including
> http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/sony/RMT-B101A.  I put together one using
> irrecord off the remote that I have for the player.  All the control files
> look compatible and look like standard Sony control files.
>
> However, when I put together an lircd.conf from these I can't control the
> player.  Everything looks OK - no errors, the IRblaster flashes, clear
> line-of-sight, etc., etc., but the player doesn't respond to commands from
> lirc.  I can control my other devices, just not this one.
>
> This is all very mysterious to me.  I've been using lirc for quite some time,
> even controlling other Sony devices and building my own control files for a
> couple of devices. So I was asking whether anyone had had success for this
> particular player or similar players.
>
> Any suggestions on how to diagnose the failure?
>
> peter

This turned out to probably be hardware problems, maybe because the Sony
detector is sensitive to something malformed in the output of the USB-UIRT.  I
purchased a different IR blaster, and that one works fine.  As I don't have an
oscilloscope, however, I don't know for sure.

peter