Quantcast

Setup trouble on Fedora23 [mceusb]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Setup trouble on Fedora23 [mceusb]

Wade Berrier
Hello,

I have a working setup using centos7 (and other ubuntu distros
previously) but when using this hardware with fedora 23 I can't get it
working.

Here's my hardware:

lsusb: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1784:0006 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver
remote: directv tivo (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/tivo/DTV36)

Software:

kernel version: 4.4.7-300.fc23.x86_64

lirc:

Version     : 0.9.3a
Release     : 3.fc23

dmesg output:

[  985.556252] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1784, idProduct=0006
[  985.556257] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  985.556260] usb 2-2: Product: eHome Infrared Transceiver
[  985.556263] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: TopSeed Technology Corp.
[  985.556265] usb 2-2: SerialNumber: TS004RrP
[  985.558992] Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[  985.559182] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (1784:0006) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/rc/rc0/input16
[  985.559547] rc0: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (1784:0006) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/rc/rc0
[  985.559664] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (mceusb) as /devices/virtual/input/input17
[  985.562137] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (mceusb) registered at minor = 0
[  985.705092] mceusb 2-2:1.0: Registered TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[  985.705098] mceusb 2-2:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)


lsmod: lsmod | grep -i mce

ir_mce_kbd_decoder     16384  0
rc_rc6_mce             16384  0
mceusb                 28672  0
rc_core                28672  14
ir_sharp_decoder,ir_xmp_decoder,lirc_dev,ir_lirc_codec,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,ir_sony_decoder,mceusb,ir_mce_kbd_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_sanyo_decoder,rc_rc6_mce

I've followed the guide at
http://www.lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html

It doesn't look like I should be using devinput...

I run:

mode2 --driver default --device /dev/lirc0

and I get a bunch of stuff:

pulse 6350
space 3650
pulse 550
space 550
pulse 600
space 550
pulse 550
space 1650
...

when pressing buttons.

but when I run lircd:

lircd --nodaemon --device /dev/lirc0 --driver default

lircd-0.9.3a[3192]: Warning: Running as root
lircd-0.9.3a[3192]: Info: Using remote: TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36.
lircd-0.9.3a[3192]: Warning: /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/DTV36.lircd.conf: TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36: Duplicate codes: KEY_MUTE
lircd-0.9.3a[3192]: Notice: lircd(default) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd-0.9.3a[3192]: Notice: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd-0.9.3a[3192]: Notice: 'lirc' written to protocols file /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

and then irw:

I get nothing.

When I do irrecord to generate a config, usually it will say "gap not
found, can't continue".  Sometimes if I do get past that, each button
on the remote shows a keycode of (0x0).

I tried compiling 0.9.0 from source with the same results.

I am seeing something similar here:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-December/456196.html

but there wasn't any resolve posted.

I'm really not sure where to go next to debug this... like I said, I
had previously working setups with this hardware, and it works on my
centos7 setup.

Has anyone run into this before?  Any ideas of where to go next?  Any
tips or help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Wade

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Setup trouble on Fedora23 [mceusb]

Bengt Martensson-2
On 04/24/16 02:42, Wade Berrier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a working setup using centos7 (and other ubuntu distros
> previously) but when using this hardware with fedora 23 I can't get it
> working.
>
> Here's my hardware:
>
> lsusb: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1784:0006 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver
> remote: directv tivo (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/tivo/DTV36)
>
> Software:
>
> kernel version: 4.4.7-300.fc23.x86_64
>
> lirc:
>
> Version     : 0.9.3a
> Release     : 3.fc23
>
...

>
> and then irw:
>
> I get nothing.

I was able to get almost exactly the same stuff stuff working; lirc from
Fedora23. The line used for starting lircd was


$ sudo /usr/sbin/lircd -n  -U /usr/lib64/lirc/plugins  --driver default
--device /dev/lirc0 -L /tmp/lircd.log  --loglevel=trace

Please do the same and inspect the thus created /tmp/lircd.log for
problems; post if necessary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Setup trouble on Fedora23 [mceusb]

Wade Berrier
On Apr 24 14:35, Bengt Martensson wrote:

> On 04/24/16 02:42, Wade Berrier wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a working setup using centos7 (and other ubuntu distros
> > previously) but when using this hardware with fedora 23 I can't get it
> > working.
> >
> > Here's my hardware:
> >
> > lsusb: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1784:0006 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver
> > remote: directv tivo (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/tivo/DTV36)
> >
> > Software:
> >
> > kernel version: 4.4.7-300.fc23.x86_64
> >
> > lirc:
> >
> > Version     : 0.9.3a
> > Release     : 3.fc23
> >
> ...
>
> >
> > and then irw:
> >
> > I get nothing.
>
> I was able to get almost exactly the same stuff stuff working; lirc from
> Fedora23. The line used for starting lircd was
>
>
> $ sudo /usr/sbin/lircd -n  -U /usr/lib64/lirc/plugins  --driver default
> --device /dev/lirc0 -L /tmp/lircd.log  --loglevel=trace
>
> Please do the same and inspect the thus created /tmp/lircd.log for
> problems; post if necessary.

Good to know someone else has it working on fedora23.  I added the
logging options and here's the output from one button press:

-----------------------

# lircd --nodaemon --device /dev/lirc0 --driver default --loglevel=trace
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Warning: Running as root
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: started server socket
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: parsing remote
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Info: Using remote: TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36.
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Warning: /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/DTV36.lircd.conf: TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36: Duplicate codes: KEY_MUTE
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: lengths: 107613 107613 43789 95761
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: lengths: 107613 107613 43789 95761
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: config file read
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: lircd(default) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: registering local client
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: 'lirc' written to protocols file /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: driver supports both sending and receiving
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: sync
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: header
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: pre: a10c
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on bit 28
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on code
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: decoding failed for all remotes
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on sync
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: decoding failed for all remotes
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: sync
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: header
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on bit 1
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: Failed on pre_data: cannot get it
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on pre
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: decoding failed for all remotes
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: sync
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on header
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: decoding failed for all remotes
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on sync
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: decoding failed for all remotes
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: sync
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on header
lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: decoding failed for all remotes

-----------------------

I've been testing this on a different computer from what was working
running el7.  My next test case is to run fedora23 on the working
computer and see how that goes.

Wade

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Setup trouble on Fedora23 [mceusb]

Wade Berrier
On Apr 24 18:37, Wade Berrier wrote:

> On Apr 24 14:35, Bengt Martensson wrote:
> > On 04/24/16 02:42, Wade Berrier wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a working setup using centos7 (and other ubuntu distros
> > > previously) but when using this hardware with fedora 23 I can't get it
> > > working.
> > >
> > > Here's my hardware:
> > >
> > > lsusb: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1784:0006 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver
> > > remote: directv tivo (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/tivo/DTV36)
> > >
> > > Software:
> > >
> > > kernel version: 4.4.7-300.fc23.x86_64
> > >
> > > lirc:
> > >
> > > Version     : 0.9.3a
> > > Release     : 3.fc23
> > >
> > ...
> >
> > >
> > > and then irw:
> > >
> > > I get nothing.
> >
> > I was able to get almost exactly the same stuff stuff working; lirc from
> > Fedora23. The line used for starting lircd was
> >
> >
> > $ sudo /usr/sbin/lircd -n  -U /usr/lib64/lirc/plugins  --driver default
> > --device /dev/lirc0 -L /tmp/lircd.log  --loglevel=trace
> >
> > Please do the same and inspect the thus created /tmp/lircd.log for
> > problems; post if necessary.
>
> Good to know someone else has it working on fedora23.  I added the
> logging options and here's the output from one button press:
>
> -----------------------
>
> # lircd --nodaemon --device /dev/lirc0 --driver default --loglevel=trace
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Warning: Running as root
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: started server socket
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: parsing remote
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Info: Using remote: TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36.
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Warning: /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/DTV36.lircd.conf: TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36: Duplicate codes: KEY_MUTE
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: lengths: 107613 107613 43789 95761
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: lengths: 107613 107613 43789 95761
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: config file read
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: lircd(default) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: registering local client
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: 'lirc' written to protocols file /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: driver supports both sending and receiving
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: sync
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: decoding failed for all remotes

...

>
> -----------------------
>
> I've been testing this on a different computer from what was working
> running el7.  My next test case is to run fedora23 on the working
> computer and see how that goes.
>

Turns out fedora23 worked on the same computer that I had it working
on with el7.  I tried it on several of computers:

el7: didn't work
el7: worked
fc23: didn't work
fc23: worked

The thing the non-working computers had in common was (from dmesg):

[12506.991024] usb 1-5: new full-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[12507.561015] mceusb 1-5:1.0: Registered  with mce emulator interface version 1
[12507.561021] mceusb 1-5:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)

Whereas the working was:

[  407.226018] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[  412.782038] mceusb 2-2:1.0: Registered TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[  412.782594] mceusb 2-2:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x1 active)

(Notice the xhci vs uhci and the lack of the specific model, as well
as "active")

There are a few reports about what seems like a very similar issue,
for example:

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/21648/

I'll post a message to the linux-media mailing list.

Wade

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Setup trouble on Fedora23 [mceusb]

Bengt Martensson-2
In reply to this post by Wade Berrier
On 04/25/16 02:37, Wade Berrier wrote:

> On Apr 24 14:35, Bengt Martensson wrote:
>> On 04/24/16 02:42, Wade Berrier wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a working setup using centos7 (and other ubuntu distros
>>> previously) but when using this hardware with fedora 23 I can't get it
>>> working.
>>>
>>> Here's my hardware:
>>>
>>> lsusb: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1784:0006 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver
>>> remote: directv tivo (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/tivo/DTV36)
>>>
>>> Software:
>>>
>>> kernel version: 4.4.7-300.fc23.x86_64
>>>
>>> lirc:
>>>
>>> Version     : 0.9.3a
>>> Release     : 3.fc23
>>>
>> ...
>>
>>>
>>> and then irw:
>>>
>>> I get nothing.
>>
>> I was able to get almost exactly the same stuff stuff working; lirc from
>> Fedora23. The line used for starting lircd was
>>
>>
>> $ sudo /usr/sbin/lircd -n  -U /usr/lib64/lirc/plugins  --driver default
>> --device /dev/lirc0 -L /tmp/lircd.log  --loglevel=trace
>>
>> Please do the same and inspect the thus created /tmp/lircd.log for
>> problems; post if necessary.
>
> Good to know someone else has it working on fedora23.  I added the
> logging options and here's the output from one button press:
>
> -----------------------
>
> # lircd --nodaemon --device /dev/lirc0 --driver default --loglevel=trace
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Warning: Running as root
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: started server socket
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: parsing remote
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Info: Using remote: TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36.
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Warning: /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/DTV36.lircd.conf: TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36: Duplicate codes: KEY_MUTE
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: lengths: 107613 107613 43789 95761
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: lengths: 107613 107613 43789 95761
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: config file read
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: lircd(default) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: registering local client
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Notice: 'lirc' written to protocols file /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: driver supports both sending and receiving
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
>

...
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: trying "TIVA_DirecTV_DTV36" remote
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: sync
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: failed on header
> lircd-0.9.3a[11289]: Debug: decoding failed for all remotes
>

what is really strange is that mode2 seems to work but lircd not. Shoot
a known IR signal using mode2, grab the output to a text file, and
import that file in IrScrutinizer (File -> Import -> Import as single
sequence -> mode2) and verify it. Then start lircd, possibly increasing
the log to trace2, shoot _exactly the same signal_ and see that it
receives the same durations (of course, there may be small (50
microseconds or so) deviations.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Setup trouble on Fedora23 [mceusb]

Alec Leamas


On 25/04/16 09:44, Bengt Martensson wrote:

> On 04/25/16 02:37, Wade Berrier wrote:
>> On Apr 24 14:35, Bengt Martensson wrote:
>>> On 04/24/16 02:42, Wade Berrier wrote:
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> I have a working setup using centos7 (and other ubuntu distros
>>>> previously) but when using this hardware with fedora 23 I can't get it
>>>> working.
>>>>
>>>> Here's my hardware:
>>>>
>>>> lsusb: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1784:0006 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver
>>>> remote: directv tivo (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/tivo/DTV36)
>>>>
>>>> Software:
>>>>
>>>> kernel version: 4.4.7-300.fc23.x86_64
>>>>
>>>> lirc:
>>>>
>>>> Version     : 0.9.3a
>>>> Release     : 3.fc23
>>>>
>>>>
There are some known issues [1], [2]. Possible culprits might be that
the combination of actual hardware and kernel XHCI driver doesn't work
requiring a kernel patch and/or that the bad kernel driver is a HID one
which then only can be used with the default LIRC driver (the HID kernel
drivers does not expose the raw data on /dev/lirc0).

The kernel patch is available in [1].

Cheers!

--alec


[1] http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2015-June/379616.html
[2]
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/591332?do=post_view_threaded

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Setup trouble on Fedora23 [mceusb]

Wade Berrier
On Mon Apr 25 11:32, Alec Leamas wrote:

>
>
> On 25/04/16 09:44, Bengt Martensson wrote:
> > On 04/25/16 02:37, Wade Berrier wrote:
> >> On Apr 24 14:35, Bengt Martensson wrote:
> >>> On 04/24/16 02:42, Wade Berrier wrote:
> >>>> Hello,
> >>>>
> >>>> I have a working setup using centos7 (and other ubuntu distros
> >>>> previously) but when using this hardware with fedora 23 I can't get it
> >>>> working.
> >>>>
> >>>> Here's my hardware:
> >>>>
> >>>> lsusb: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1784:0006 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver
> >>>> remote: directv tivo (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/tivo/DTV36)
> >>>>
> >>>> Software:
> >>>>
> >>>> kernel version: 4.4.7-300.fc23.x86_64
> >>>>
> >>>> lirc:
> >>>>
> >>>> Version     : 0.9.3a
> >>>> Release     : 3.fc23
> >>>>
> >>>>
> There are some known issues [1], [2]. Possible culprits might be that
> the combination of actual hardware and kernel XHCI driver doesn't work
> requiring a kernel patch and/or that the bad kernel driver is a HID one
> which then only can be used with the default LIRC driver (the HID kernel
> drivers does not expose the raw data on /dev/lirc0).
>
> The kernel patch is available in [1].

Just wanted to note that a proper patch that works for mceusb
transceivers is released in linux kernel version 4.7.5:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=8b9bbb3aff2bae9ffdee9be0d4537bd395680d35

Works great!

Wade

>
>
>
> [1] http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2015-June/379616.html
> [2]
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/591332?do=post_view_threaded
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
Loading...