Quantcast

Remote AND transmitter with lircd 0.9.0

Don Doumakes
I could use some help getting my MythTV over what I think is the last
hurdle.

My hardware.conf is below.  As written, I have a remote that works
perfectly, but attempting to transmit with irsend gives the error message

        irsend: hardware does not support sending

On the other hand, if I comment out all the REMOTE* lines in
hardware.conf, the transmitter works perfectly.

Other clues:

With the hardware.conf file as shown below, "ls -l /dev/lirc*" produces:

crw------- 1 root root 250, 0 May  8 19:36 /dev/lirc0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     19 May  8 19:40 /dev/lircd -> /var/run/lirc/lircd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     20 May  8 19:40 /dev/lircd1 ->
/var/run/lirc/lircd1

Turning off power on the HD-PVR makes /dev/lirc0 disappear, fwiw.

I'd be grateful for a hint.

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="imon-pad remote"
REMOTE_MODULES=""
REMOTE_DRIVER="devinput"
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0038-event-if00"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="HD-PVR"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_zilog"
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""

Re: Remote AND transmitter with lircd 0.9.0

doa379@gmail.com
Why does your LIRC config produce two sockets?

If you have two devices (two transmission devices) both of them require
an assignment (eg say, /dev/lirc0 and /dev/lirc1). You then need only
one socket but both devices need to "connect" into that one socket.

You need to the use the --listen argument and --connect=localhost:PORT
argument passed to your LIRC service.

The first device will listen and the second device will connect.

See here for a background:

http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html

doa379@gmail.com wrote
You need to the use the --listen argument and --connect=localhost:PORT
argument passed to your LIRC service.
This got me a little further.  Looking into the init script, I saw it was starting two processes, one with --listen and one with --connect.  But syslog showed it was failing to connect.  Turned out I had a driver blacklisted from an earlier attempt to get this working.  With that cleaned up, I do get two processes running as expected:

/usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0038-event-if00 --listen
/usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd1 --device=/dev/lirc0 --connect=localhost 8765 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd1.pid

Still getting "hardware does not support sending" error when I attempt to transmit.

Any other ideas to get around the "hardware does not support sending" error?
Joe

Re: Remote AND transmitter with lircd 0.9.0

Joe
Take a look at my posts.

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=40935&forum=55

It may help you with troubleshooting.

I was using a DQ77MK Intel mobo. Something in the chipset
/kernel is not supported yet with a FTDI usb serial... I ended up
reverting to an old P4SGA serial.

Joe