Re: error while loading shared libraries: liblirc.so.0

Re: error while loading shared libraries: liblirc.so.0

Phiplex

In the answer below Bengt/bulk/Barf talks about “the proper place” and I would therefor very much appreciate info about what’s the default  shared proper location for the library containing:  liblirc.so.0 created using a normal “make install” on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian. And also maybe - what is the proper place to install/place the lirc source from where to run ” ./autogen.sh”  & “./configure” & “make” & “make install” ?

Regards /Phiplex – a Linux & lirc newbie

On 06/08/15 15:50, Tim wrote:

> I've compiled and installed lirc 0.9.3 on two different computers

> (Raspbian and Xubuntu) from the git repo, and when I try to run anything

> (lircd, irw, irrecord) I get: lircd: error while loading shared

> libraries: liblirc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or

> directory

Hi Tim/clueo8,

in the thread at Dangerous Prototypes

(http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6820) I wrote:

The error message means that the executable cannot find a shared library

that it needs. Either the latter was not installed in the proper place,

or the executable cannot find it. You did "make install", not just

mv-ing stuff around, did you? You may point LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the

actual location of the shared library to run the contained programs, but

that is not a permanent solution.

which still appears to be the relevant answer.

Greetz,

Bengt (Barf at Dangerous Prototypes)

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/

Re: error while loading shared libraries: liblirc.so.0

Bengt Martensson-2
On 07/15/15 20:04, Phiplex wrote:
> In the answer below Bengt/bulk/Barf talks about “the proper place” and I
> would therefor very much appreciate info about what’s the default
>   shared proper location for the library containing: liblirc.so.0
> created using a normal “make install” on a Raspberry Pi running
> Raspbian. And also maybe - what is the proper place to install/place the
> lirc source from where to run ” ./autogen.sh”  & “./configure” & “make”
> & “make install” ?
>
> Regards /Phiplex – a Linux & lirc newbie

There is an argument --prefix that governs where the stuff will be
installed. Use --prefix=/usr to install over the stuff that came with
the system, Traditionally, --prefix=/usr/local has often been used,
prevents overwriting the stuff that came with the system, and the idea
is to maintain a tree of "locally installed stuff". Recently, for
experimental installation of stuff like Lirc, I like installing into a
completely virgin directory, like $HOME/usr or something like that. (For
testing, not deployment, and no systemd integration.) (Alec will likely
chime in here...)

When "make install" you can read the outputs to find out where the
shared libraries are installed, but I think it is typically something
like $prefix/lib or such.

But the toolchain should get it right, otherwise report it as a bug.
(But _do not_ expect mv-ing things around instead of "make install" will
work.)

Also find out what the ldd program does...

Sorry, I did not check for anything Lirc-specific. Feel free to ask
further questions.

Greetz,

Bengt

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/

Re: error while loading shared libraries: liblirc.so.0

EdwinDrood
I got the same error.  I am running Ubuntu 14.04 and I use the lircd for my Haupauge PVR box.  After a kernel update, the lircd which was working for over a year just stopped.   Not in kernel ???  My /dev/lirc0 is just missing.  I was hoping that compiling the lircd would fix it.

I downloaded lircd 0.9.4d and ran the normal ./configure, make make install and got the error that the liblirc.so.0 could not be found.

I did a 'find / | grep liblirc.so.0 and found a symbolic link with this name pointing to liblirc.so.0.0.0 in the same folder which is /usr/local/lib  Well I guessed that the broken make install was supposed to put it in the /usr/lib.

So I ran this:   ln -s /usr/local/lib/liblirc.so.0.0.0 /usr/lib/liblirc.so.0

This justs add a second symbolic link pointing to the correct file and fixed my problem with the missing library file.

Re: error while loading shared libraries: liblirc.so.0

Alec Leamas

On 20/03/17 02:39, EdwinDrood wrote:
> I got the same error.  I am running Ubuntu 14.04 and I use the lircd for my
> Haupauge PVR box.  After a kernel update, the lircd which was working for
> over a year just stopped.   Not in kernel ???  My /dev/lirc0 is just
> missing.  I was hoping that compiling the lircd would fix it.

/dev/lirc0 is created by the kernel, lircd is not involved in this at all.

> I downloaded lircd 0.9.4d and ran the normal ./configure, make make install
> and got the error that the liblirc.so.0 could not be found.

This is according to GNU standards - without options the install goes
into /usr/local.  This could he handled using ldconfig rather than
creating symlinks, but it's just the tip of the iceberg - there are
multiple configuration issues when installing from source.

You might want to use the debian source package instead - it builds a
debian package with proper paths.

But bottom line is that it's probably best to restore lircd and focus on
the kernel update - this is the culprit, and lircd  cannot do anything
about a missing /dev/lirc0.