Quantcast

Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Luis Felipe Strano Moraes
Hi,

I'm trying to configure lirc here on my playtv pro, but I'm having problems.
I'm running Gentoo, using vanilla kernel 2.6.11.11. After installing lirc 0.7.1,
following files on /dev :

crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 61, 0 Jun 20 19:58 lirc
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 61, 0 Jun 20 19:58 lirc0
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Jun 23 15:09 lircd

I try to run irw, but it just exits. When I try to run it again, I get
connect: Connection refused

And this is what I have on my log :

Jun 23 15:08:19 [lircd-0.7.1] lircd(pixelview_bt878) ready
Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] could not open /dev/lirc0
Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] default_init(): No such device_
Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] caught signal

The first line is when I run /etc/init.d/lircd start, and the others are
when I try to run irw. Lircd closes after that.

What might be happening ?? Is there something special on the kernel
configuration that I'm missing ???

Thanks,
--lf

Re: Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Christoph Bartelmus
Hi!

Luis Felipe Strano Moraes "[hidden email]" wrote:
[...]
> I'm trying to configure lirc here on my playtv pro, but I'm having
> problems.. I'm running Gentoo, using vanilla kernel 2.6.11.11. After
> installing lirc 0..7.1, loading the module (lirc_i2c) and running

When I select the Pixelview PlayTV pro in setup.sh, the lirc_gpio module
is built.

Christoph

Fwd: Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Luis Felipe Strano Moraes
I'm compiling lirc through emerge with the following options :
LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=pixelview_bt878"

Also, I tried doing what you suggested, and I still keep getting the
same results.
When I run irw, it just exits, and the log displays the same messages.

Gonna try compiling lirc by hand and using lirc_gpio now, but I think I already
tried that before and it also didn't work.

btw, I also tried with the newest kernel , 2.6.12 , but nothing changed.

--lf

On 6/23/05, Eli Crumrine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:12:37 -0300 | Luis Felipe Strano Moraes <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to configure lirc here on my playtv pro, but I'm having problems.
> > I'm running Gentoo, using vanilla kernel 2.6.11.11. After installing lirc 0.7.1,
> > following files on /dev :
> >
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 61, 0 Jun 20 19:58 lirc
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 61, 0 Jun 20 19:58 lirc0
> > srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Jun 23 15:09 lircd
> >
> > I try to run irw, but it just exits. When I try to run it again, I get
> > connect: Connection refused
> >
> > And this is what I have on my log :
> >
> > Jun 23 15:08:19 [lircd-0.7.1] lircd(pixelview_bt878) ready
> > Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] accepted new client on /dev/lircd
> > Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] could not open /dev/lirc0
> > Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] default_init(): No such device_
> > Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] caught signal
> >
> > The first line is when I run /etc/init.d/lircd start, and the others are
> > when I try to run irw. Lircd closes after that.
> >
> > What might be happening ?? Is there something special on the kernel
> > configuration that I'm missing ???
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --lf
> >
> After getting the modules loaded properly, you really shouldn't have two lirc character
> devices in /dev with 61,0.  Try unloading the modules first, then rm -rf /dev/lirc
> mkdir /dev/lirc
> mknod /dev/lirc/0 d 61 0
> then modprobe the correct modules (lirc_gpio apparently) and
> lircd -d /dev/lirc/0
> then test out irw.
>
> --
>
> Thu:Jun:23:05
> Eli Crumrine

Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Luis Felipe Strano Moraes
Forgot to send my last two replies to the list :(
Here's the second one :

Well, this is what I get when I compile lirc by hand with support for
lirc_gpio :

avalon dev # modprobe lirc_gpio
FATAL: Error inserting lirc_gpio
(/lib/modules/2.6.11.11-avalon/misc/lirc_gpio.ko): Invalid request
code

This is from the output of lspci :

0000:01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
Video Capture (rev 11)
0000:01:08.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
Capture (rev 11)

So I believe the correct device for me is lirc_i2c (which is selected
with pixelview_bt878).

Any other ideas ?

--lf

Re: Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Eli Crumrine
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:12:37 -0300 | Luis Felipe Strano Moraes <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure lirc here on my playtv pro, but I'm having problems.
> I'm running Gentoo, using vanilla kernel 2.6.11.11. After installing lirc 0.7.1,
> following files on /dev :
>
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 61, 0 Jun 20 19:58 lirc
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 61, 0 Jun 20 19:58 lirc0
> srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Jun 23 15:09 lircd
>
> I try to run irw, but it just exits. When I try to run it again, I get
> connect: Connection refused
>
> And this is what I have on my log :
>
> Jun 23 15:08:19 [lircd-0.7.1] lircd(pixelview_bt878) ready
> Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] accepted new client on /dev/lircd
> Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] could not open /dev/lirc0
> Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] default_init(): No such device_
> Jun 23 15:08:43 [lircd-0.7.1] caught signal
>
> The first line is when I run /etc/init.d/lircd start, and the others are
> when I try to run irw. Lircd closes after that.
>
> What might be happening ?? Is there something special on the kernel
> configuration that I'm missing ???
>
> Thanks,
> --lf

After getting the modules loaded properly, you really shouldn't have two lirc character
devices in /dev with 61,0.  Try unloading the modules first, then rm -rf /dev/lirc
mkdir /dev/lirc
mknod /dev/lirc/0 d 61 0
then modprobe the correct modules (lirc_gpio apparently) and
lircd -d /dev/lirc/0
then test out irw.

--

Thu:Jun:23:05
Eli Crumrine

Re: Fwd: Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Christoph Bartelmus
Hi!

Luis Felipe Strano Moraes "[hidden email]" wrote:

> I'm compiling lirc through emerge with the following options :
> LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=pixelview_bt878"

The correct driver parameter is pixelview_pro.

Christoph

Re: Fwd: Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

LGTrader
On 23 Jun 2005 22:48:00 +0200, Christoph Bartelmus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The correct driver parameter is pixelview_pro.
>
> Christoph

Christoph,
   Hi. Is there a definitive, on-line, up to date place to find a list
of supported devices, the name that should be used in the LIRC_OPTS
statement and the names of the drivers created when done? I've had
trouble felling like I've found anything like this and end up
resorting to reading ebuilds, etc.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Luis Felipe Strano Moraes
Well, I tried recompiling my kernel and making bttv a module.
I found on the v4l2 page that you don't need to use the lirc kernel
modules to make the remote control work, you can use ir-kbd-i2c
or ir-kbd-gpio.
I tried loading both, but neither works. The /proc/bus/input/devices
file still shows only my regular keyboard and my mouse.

Is there any way I can test the device to see if it's working without
having to install Windows ???
Is there any livecd that could work with this ???

Any other ideas I might try ??

--lf

PS: I understand that there are some serial options on the kernel that
messes up with lirc, but I suppose it only screws up if you use lirc_serial.
Am I right ??

Re: Fwd: Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

Christoph Bartelmus
Hi!

Mark Knecht "[hidden email]" wrote:
[...]
>    Hi. Is there a definitive, on-line, up to date place to find a list
> of supported devices, the name that should be used in the LIRC_OPTS
> statement and the names of the drivers created when done? I've had
> trouble felling like I've found anything like this and end up
> resorting to reading ebuilds, etc.

This information is well hidden here
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/lirc/lirc/setup.data?view=markup
and here
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/lirc/lirc/configure.in?view=markup

Actually, the answer is no.

Christoph

Re: Fwd: Problems with Lirc on a PixelView PlayTV Pro (bt878)

LGTrader
Great! Thanks!