Official Debian package available!

Alec Leamas
Hi out there!

After quite some work, the lirc-0.9.4b package has been accepted into
Debian experimental. The plan is to make it part of the upcoming stretch
release.

This is an important step since the old 0.9.0 package used in
Debian/Ubuntu has locked a substantial part of our users into a now
really old version.

For those of you using Debian the new update is available from now and
feedback is more than welcome, either on this list or just file Debian
bugs.  Please note that updating from 0.9.0 is somewhat complicated,
see the messages while updating.

Re: Official Debian package available!

Craig Treleaven
> On Oct 4, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ….  Please note that updating from 0.9.0 is somewhat complicated,
> see the messages while updating.

Could you point toward those “messages while updating”?  I’m working on updating the MacPorts packaging and my (few) Lirc users will also be updating from 0.9.0 to 0.9.4b.

Craig

On 04/10/16 19:08, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ….  Please note that updating from 0.9.0 is somewhat complicated,
>> see the messages while updating.
>
> Could you point toward those “messages while updating”?  I’m working on updating the MacPorts packaging and my (few) Lirc users will also be updating from 0.9.0 to 0.9.4b.

Unfortunately not, this is part of the Debian packaging and not upstream
lirc. Most of it is about the hardware.conf file used in Debian@0.9.0.
This file has never  been part of the upstream lirc package, so it does
not affect the Mac port (unless the Mac port supports hardware.conf,
which it doesn't, right?).

Re: Official Debian package available!

Craig Treleaven
> On Oct 4, 2016, at 1:25 PM, Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 04/10/16 19:08, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>> On Oct 4, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> ….  Please note that updating from 0.9.0 is somewhat complicated,
>>> see the messages while updating.
>>
>> Could you point toward those “messages while updating”?  I’m working on updating the MacPorts packaging and my (few) Lirc users will also be updating from 0.9.0 to 0.9.4b.
>
> Unfortunately not, this is part of the Debian packaging and not upstream lirc. Most of it is about the hardware.conf file used in Debian@0.9.0. This file has never  been part of the upstream lirc package, so it does not affect the Mac port (unless the Mac port supports hardware.conf, which it doesn't, right?).

No, we don’t have a hardware.conf.  Oh well.

Craig