New version of the Girs driver

Bengt Martensson-2
I have just checked in a new version of my Girs Lirc driver (Arduino
etc). In particular, it supports Arduinos connected to Ethernet through
TCP socket instead of serial USB connections. () There is also some
minor fixes and performance tuning. Some pretty useless driver
parameters have been eliminated. The documentation is updated!

To use with TCP, use a "device name" (the --device parameter to Lircd)
consisting of IP address (as a string without spaces), or, if your
network/host can resolve it, IP name. (Anything nonempty, not starting
with "/", or being equal to "auto" is interpreted as an IP
name/address.) Optionally, a port number can be appended following a
colon. Default port number is 33333.

This addresses ticket https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/tickets/201/
(@Alec: wait for some time with merging and ticket closing.)

To use, clone
https://bengtmartensson@.../u/bengtmartensson/lirc and
switch to branch girs-tcp.

Greetz,

Bengt

Re: New version of the Girs driver

VDR User
Hi Bengt,

First, thank you for your work creating this! In my case, using
ethernet-based ir receivers is a much better option than anything else
and now I may finally be able to do it!

A few questions..  Do you have or intend to make a howto like the
"Arduino Nano Hardware" one which outlines what components to buy,
assembly, and how to write the firmware? Also, does the Arduino use
dhcp to obtain an ip or would static ip/settings be stored within the
firmware? Are there any latency issues?

On 08/26/16 18:20, VDR User wrote:
> Hi Bengt,
>
> First, thank you for your work creating this! In my case, using
> ethernet-based ir receivers is a much better option than anything else
> and now I may finally be able to do it!
>
> A few questions..  Do you have or intend to make a howto like the
> "Arduino Nano Hardware" one which outlines what components to buy,
> assembly, and how to write the firmware?

The first two are covered here
http://www.harctoolbox.org/arduino_nano.html and
http://www.harctoolbox.org/arduino_nano_part2.html (IMHO fairly well!) A
third part is planned, covering other hardware than the nano, and usage
of the Ethernet.

The Arduino community does not  seem very helpful, see
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=369453.0

("I can't wait for all the 'my uno is acting weird since I uploaded this
.hex file that someone send me'.") --- GRRR

> Also, does the Arduino use
> dhcp to obtain an ip or would static ip/settings be stored within the
> firmware? Are there any latency issues?

That is all covered in the comments in config.h (in src/Girs).

  Please used IrScrutinizer to check the hardware. The new version 1.3
(out RSN) and the development version
https://github.com/bengtmartensson/harctoolboxbundle/releases/tag/ci-build
can use "Use receive for capture", thus testing what Lirc wants.