New users of 0.9.4 in the pipe (status of 0.9.4c release)

New users of 0.9.4 in the pipe (status of 0.9.4c release)

Alec Leamas
Hi out there!

After a lot of work, most of which not visible here, we are on track to
update also our debian/ubuntu users to 0.9.4. Since these are quite
many, and up to now is using 0.9.0, this is a major step.

Another set of new users may stem from the first supported MacOS build
for some time.

Overall status:
   - 8 unreleased fixes in release-0.9.4. Build issues, two typos [8].

   - Debian official packages: on track for upcoming stretch [6].
   - Ubuntu official packages: on track for upcoming zesty [5].
   - Unofficial packages for trusty, xenial and yakkety: in  the ppa [2].
   - The lirc-debian-src package is updated to reflect the official [4].

   - Unofficial MacOS build at [7].

   - Fedora unofficial packages for f23-f24 in the COPR repo [1].
   - Fedora official packages for f24-f25 in updates-testing [3].
   - lirc-0.9.4c is expected to be a zero-day update for f25.

The debian/ubuntu process is not fast, and it will take a long time
before most of it's users are updated. But, we are on track! Next step
is that debian package is pushed to unstable i. e., "not experimental",
probably in a week or so.

In order to get this rolling, I have been forced to become a Debian
packager. Being a slow learner, this has taken some time. Without the
help I have got, it just wouldn't worked. Thanks! (you know who you are)

Help appreciated! Test the debian/ubuntu packages, file bugs!

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/leamas/lirc-0.9.4-preview/
[2] https://launchpad.net/~leamas-alec/+archive/ubuntu/lirc-0.9.4
[3] https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-10dfbe8b5b
[4] https://sourceforge.net/projects/lirc/files/LIRC/0.9.4c/
[5] http://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/lirc
[6] https://packages.debian.org/experimental/lirc
[7] https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=lirc
[8] https://sf.net/p/lirc/git/ci/cc068183b2f6dc6032396/log/?path=

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: New users of 0.9.4 in the pipe (status of 0.9.4c release)

VDR User
> After a lot of work, most of which not visible here, we are on track to
> update also our debian/ubuntu users to 0.9.4. Since these are quite
> many, and up to now is using 0.9.0, this is a major step.
> In order to get this rolling, I have been forced to become a Debian
> packager. Being a slow learner, this has taken some time. Without the
> help I have got, it just wouldn't worked. Thanks! (you know who you are)

Now you know my pain as a Debian testing user! I don't know why Debian
fell so ridiculously behind with lirc but it's great that it will
finally be brought back from the dark ages! ;) Thanks for all your
hard work!

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: New users of 0.9.4 in the pipe (status of 0.9.4c release)

Gianfranco Costamagna
Hi list

>After a lot of work, most of which not visible here, we are on track to
>update also our debian/ubuntu users to 0.9.4. Since these are quite
>many, and up to now is using 0.9.0, this is a major step.
>
>Another set of new users may stem from the first supported MacOS build
>for some time.
>
>Overall status:
>   - 8 unreleased fixes in release-0.9.4. Build issues, two typos [8].
>
>   - Debian official packages: on track for upcoming stretch [6].
>   - Ubuntu official packages: on track for upcoming zesty [5].
>   - Unofficial packages for trusty, xenial and yakkety: in  the ppa [2].
>   - The lirc-debian-src package is updated to reflect the official [4].
>
>   - Unofficial MacOS build at [7].
>
>   - Fedora unofficial packages for f23-f24 in the COPR repo [1].
>   - Fedora official packages for f24-f25 in updates-testing [3].
>   - lirc-0.9.4c is expected to be a zero-day update for f25.

wonderful :)
>The debian/ubuntu process is not fast, and it will take a long time
>before most of it's users are updated. But, we are on track! Next step
>is that debian package is pushed to unstable i. e., "not experimental",
>probably in a week or so.

already done some days ago, ubuntu zesty is already updated, ppas too,
and the fix will reach Stretch in a week or two
(I blocked the migration to give users some more time to test)

>In order to get this rolling, I have been forced to become a Debian
>packager. Being a slow learner, this has taken some time. Without the
>help I have got, it just wouldn't worked. Thanks! (you know who you are)

:) I think you are talking about the support on debian-devel and debian-mentors,
the community forced you and you take the role really seriously!
(and became a prominent packager/maintainer!)

Policy didn't allow me to speed up the process, but since Stretch was going
to freeze, I did the upload :p
>Help appreciated! Test the debian/ubuntu packages, file bugs!

thanks for the whole lot of effort, from your (not end user) sponsor :)

as said, please test and report bugs!

cheers!

Gianfranco

Training and support from Colfax.