Make lirc-setup optional?

Craig Treleaven
Hi:

Is there a configure flag to disable building/installing the lirc-setup script?

On OS X with MacPorts, gtk3 brings in a very big group of dependencies.  I would like to be able to make it optional to install all that.  However, one of the principles that MacPorts tries to follow is Reproducable Builds [1]—the software the user gets should be deterministic.  In other words, they should not get different features depending on whether they have previously installed certain packages or not—gtk3 in this case.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ReproducibleBuilds

BTW, is PyGObject also only needed for lire-setup?  It too draws in quite a list of dependencies.

Thanks,

Craig

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: Make lirc-setup optional?

Alec Leamas

On 06/03/17 20:09, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is there a configure flag to disable building/installing the lirc-setup script?
>
> On OS X with MacPorts, gtk3 brings in a very big group of dependencies.  I would like to be able to make it optional to install all that.  However, one of the principles that MacPorts tries to follow is Reproducable Builds [1]—the software the user gets should be deterministic.  In other words, they should not get different features depending on whether they have previously installed certain packages or not—gtk3 in this case.

Not as of now. In fedora/debian packaging the built package is split
into several binary packages. In Fedora,lirc-setup is part of of the
-config package together with other tools used only when configuring
lirc. Can't you do something similar?

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: Make lirc-setup optional?

Craig Treleaven
> On Mar 6, 2017, at 3:24 PM, Alec Leamas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 06/03/17 20:09, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> Is there a configure flag to disable building/installing the lirc-setup script?
>>
>> On OS X with MacPorts, gtk3 brings in a very big group of dependencies.  I would like to be able to make it optional to install all that.  However, one of the principles that MacPorts tries to follow is Reproducable Builds [1]—the software the user gets should be deterministic.  In other words, they should not get different features depending on whether they have previously installed certain packages or not—gtk3 in this case.
>>

> Not as of now. In fedora/debian packaging the built package is split
> into several binary packages. In Fedora,lirc-setup is part of of the
> -config package together with other tools used only when configuring
> lirc. Can't you do something similar?

No, we really don’t have any such facility.  We use a concept of variants.  A simple example is documentation say for PySwig.  ‘sudo port install py34-swig’ gets me everything needed to use swig in a Python 3.4 environment, but no documentation.  For that ‘sudo port install py34-swig +doc’ installs the whole thing including all the documentation files.

I think what I’ll do is delete the lirc-setup script between the build and install phases unless the user has specified the “+gui_setup” variant.  With the variant asserted, I’ll make sure the dependencies are installed too.

Craig
http://sdm.link/oxford