Quantcast

Ir receiver connecter to ir repeater?

TT

Ir receiver connecter to ir repeater?

TT

Hey guys, just getting started with all this ir stuff, so apologies if my terminology is off :)

I'm interested in moving my home theater equipment into a hidden closet, using an ir repeater/extender kit to do so.

I would also like to start playing with lirc, so need an ir receiver cable to go to my Linux htpc.

One of the boxes I found on eBay, has what looks like output for 12v, gnd, status and signal.

Without having access to the docs, I'm wondering if anyone has any familiarity with devices like this and if it's possible to build a serial cable to hang off this thing?

Don't want to post direct eBay links or pics, but "hidden ir infrared remote" on eBay will show the unit I'm referring to.

Thanks!

Re: Ir receiver connecter to ir repeater?

Alec Leamas

On 14/10/16 01:31, TT wrote:

Hi!

So, you are TT, right ;)

> I'm interested in moving my home theater equipment into a hidden closet,
> using an ir repeater/extender kit to do so.

Why not just use a USB-based IR transciever such as irToy or iguanaIR.
Is the maximum USB cable length an issue?

  I would also like to start playing with lirc, so need an ir receiver
> cable to go to my Linux htpc.

Note that depending on your needs you might or might not need lirc. The
kernel has some basic ir handling which  is sufficient in many cases. [1]

> Don't want to post direct eBay links or pics, but "hidden ir infrared
> remote" on eBay will show the unit I'm referring to.

I see no problems sharing such links. Come on!

[1] http://lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html

On 15/10/16 04:58, TT wrote:

>>> I'm interested in moving my home theater equipment into a hidden closet,
>>> using an ir repeater/extender kit to do so.
>>
>> Why not just use a USB-based IR transciever such as irToy or iguanaIR.
>> Is the maximum USB cable length an issue?
>
> No not an issue at all,  was just browsing ebay and saw this
> particular unit and figured if I could tap into the IR feed off the
> repeater it would work out better then using up on of the output leads
> to drive the irtoy.

Well, in that case I suggest you just use your irtoy with a longer USB
cable instead of an IR extender. Since you need the IR transceiver
anyway, I don't that the extender adds anything but increased
complexity. Or, do I miss something here?