Fwd: Re: LIRC on a microcotroller

Abhinav Kalra

>On 14/10/16 15:34, Abhinav Kalra wrote:

>>>The short story is that building bits and pieces of lirc this way just

>> isn't >supported. You need to build the complete lirc distribution.

>> Can you please tell me why is this? There has to be some reason behind

>> this. Right? And I would really like to know that.

>It because the irsend application depends on all the other pieces of

>lirc: libraries, daemon, configuration. You just cannot take a single

>source file like and rebuild it outside of the lirc context (please, do

>not push this further).

Alec, I get this what you are trying to say. :) Thanks a lot. I know now what I was doing wrong all this time and what exactly I need to do to go further.

>One loophole might be to use the irtoy driver. I have no idea what the

>irdroid is based on,

Yes, the application of both irtoy and irdroid is the same. In short, we can say that irtoy is the base of irdroid. Irdroid is a USB hardware which can be controlled using an android application where the lircd.conf file is put in the storage of the phone and the application detects the file, decodes it and then shows the remotes in its UI and thus can be used to control the devices. LIRC is basically embedded inside the android application itself.

>You might be able to find out what kind of device it is

>by inspecting dmesg(1) after connecting the  irdroid.

I do not own the irdroid device yet but that is actually what I am planning on doing.

Thank you again for all your advice.

Hope you have a good life ahead of you.

-AK

Re: Fwd: Re: LIRC on a microcotroller

Bengt Martensson-2
On 10/15/16 10:37, Abhinav Kalra wrote:

> Yes, the application of both irtoy and irdroid is the same. In short, we
> can say that irtoy is the base of irdroid. Irdroid is a USB hardware
> which can be controlled using an android application where the
> lircd.conf file is put in the storage of the phone and the application
> detects the file, decodes it and then shows the remotes in its UI and
> thus can be used to control the devices. LIRC is basically embedded
> inside the android application itself.

Hate to be patronizing, but this is not quite correct. Amote (which is
tha name of the Android app) is nothing more, nothing less than a Lirc
client, communicating over the socket command interface of lircd. In a
way, the Lirc client in IrScrutinizer does the same thing, but without
the "click" emphasis. (BTW, its home page http://www.datscharf.dk/amote
seems to have disappeared)

> I do not own the irdroid device yet but that is actually what I am
> planning on doing.

Consider an IrToy instead. Also please check out my "toy":
http://www.harctoolbox.org/arduino_nano.html.

Greetz,

Bengt

On 10/15/16 11:01, Bengt Martensson wrote:

> On 10/15/16 10:37, Abhinav Kalra wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the application of both irtoy and irdroid is the same. In short, we
>> can say that irtoy is the base of irdroid. Irdroid is a USB hardware
>> which can be controlled using an android application where the
>> lircd.conf file is put in the storage of the phone and the application
>> detects the file, decodes it and then shows the remotes in its UI and
>> thus can be used to control the devices. LIRC is basically embedded
>> inside the android application itself.
>
> Hate to be patronizing, but this is not quite correct. Amote (which is
> tha name of the Android app) is ...

Sorry, I have to correct again. There is an Android app called "IrDroid"
which requires the "Irdroid module". The latter is an audio to IR
converter plugged in the headphone jack. The IrToy clone is a completely
different animal, called "Irdroid USB", and is not supported by the
"Irdroid app" (as I understand it).

Greetz,

Bengt