Direct connection send / receive

Walt Reed-2
I'm looking at directly interfacing to the IR ports on various devices.
Many modern receivers have an "IR In" port via a mono 1/8" mini jack for
example.

In addition, I have a Xantech system with (expensive) "plasma friendly"
IR receivers, amplified connecting block, and a plethora of emitters. It
seems that I should be able to use one of the IR emitter outputs to
connect to a home-brew LIRC receiver circuit... It also seems like it
should be possible to connect to the "IR In" terminals on the Xantech
connecting block.

Anyone done anything like this? Pointers?

Re: Direct connection send / receive

sschaefer1
Can you mention a "modern receiver" as an example.
I've always wondered why no manufacturer or third party company hasn't
done this already. I don't have any pointers, but I am curious about
this. It would seem to me in an automated setup relying on infrared
has its limitations, whereas direct connections would be reliable.

> I'm looking at directly interfacing to the IR ports on various
> devices.Many modern receivers have an "IR In" port via a mono 1/8"
> mini jack for
> example.
>
> In addition, I have a Xantech system with (expensive) "plasma
> friendly"IR receivers, amplified connecting block, and a plethora
> of emitters. It
> seems that I should be able to use one of the IR emitter outputs to
> connect to a home-brew LIRC receiver circuit... It also seems like it
> should be possible to connect to the "IR In" terminals on the Xantech
> connecting block.
>
> Anyone done anything like this? Pointers?

Strategies

Re: Direct connection send / receive

Walt Reed-2
Most recent Onkyo's have it (over the past 5 years - they call it an MRX
port), as well as all higher-end current Yamaha models.

The Yamaha RX-V1500 (and others) even has RS-232 control (and yes, you
can download the specs for the protocol... I think this receiver will be
my birthday present to myself... Talk about an aswesome MythTV
receiver...)

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/backs/RXV1500B.htm

Xantech has interface modules that allow connection to MANY other
proprietary systems too:
http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_794797.htm

Needless to say, my desire is to have a bidirectional LIRC interface to
the Xantech stuff, which should be a very simplistic adaptation of the
basic LIRC serial port circuit. Perfect for MythTV.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:36:39PM -0400, [hidden email] said:

> Can you mention a "modern receiver" as an example.
> I've always wondered why no manufacturer or third party company hasn't
> done this already. I don't have any pointers, but I am curious about
> this. It would seem to me in an automated setup relying on infrared
> has its limitations, whereas direct connections would be reliable.

Michael Carland
I believe some of the higher end Sony products also have something like
this. They call it S-Control if I remember correctly. I have a cable from
my Sony amp to my Sony DVD player, and when I "play" a DVD, the receiver
automatically switches to the DVD input. I thought I read a long time ago
that their S-Control was just the normal IR protocol but sent directly
over a two wire interface.

--- Walt Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Most recent Onkyo's have it (over the past 5 years - they call it an MRX
> port), as well as all higher-end current Yamaha models.
>
> The Yamaha RX-V1500 (and others) even has RS-232 control (and yes, you
> can download the specs for the protocol... I think this receiver will be
> my birthday present to myself... Talk about an aswesome MythTV
> receiver...)
>
> http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/backs/RXV1500B.htm
>
> Xantech has interface modules that allow connection to MANY other
> proprietary systems too:
> http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_794797.htm
>
> Needless to say, my desire is to have a bidirectional LIRC interface to
> the Xantech stuff, which should be a very simplistic adaptation of the
> basic LIRC serial port circuit. Perfect for MythTV.
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:36:39PM -0400, [hidden email] said:
> > Can you mention a "modern receiver" as an example.
> > I've always wondered why no manufacturer or third party company hasn't
>
> > done this already. I don't have any pointers, but I am curious about
> > this. It would seem to me in an automated setup relying on infrared
> > has its limitations, whereas direct connections would be reliable.

RE: Direct connection send / receive

Warren Melnick
Depending on when your birthday is, you might want to wait for the new
Yamahas coming out in the next few weeks.  Their specs are even more
amazing.  I am drooling over the RX-V4600 myself.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV4600Receiv
erFirstLook.php

:)
Warren

Most recent Onkyo's have it (over the past 5 years - they call it an MRX
port), as well as all higher-end current Yamaha models.

The Yamaha RX-V1500 (and others) even has RS-232 control (and yes, you
can download the specs for the protocol... I think this receiver will be
my birthday present to myself... Talk about an aswesome MythTV
receiver...)

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/backs/RXV1500B.htm

Xantech has interface modules that allow connection to MANY other
proprietary systems too:
http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_794797.htm

Needless to say, my desire is to have a bidirectional LIRC interface to
the Xantech stuff, which should be a very simplistic adaptation of the
basic LIRC serial port circuit. Perfect for MythTV.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:36:39PM -0400, [hidden email] said:
> Can you mention a "modern receiver" as an example.
> I've always wondered why no manufacturer or third party company hasn't

> done this already. I don't have any pointers, but I am curious about
> this. It would seem to me in an automated setup relying on infrared
> has its limitations, whereas direct connections would be reliable.

Walt Reed-3
Yeah, that sure is nice but at $1,899 list it's a little much. That's
about 3 times a 1500. The new features are mainly a couple HDMI inputs
HD radio, and a little more power. Meanwhile, I still need to solve my
direct-connect issues :-)