Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven

I am trying to install GIRS drivers for LIRC. I am using the newest 64bit version of Ubuntu and have installed the latest LIRC version (0.9.4d) like this:

cd /tmp

wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2

tar -jxf lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2

cd lirc-0.9.4d

aclocal && autoheader && autoconf

./configure --with-x --with-driver=girs

make && sudo make install

Install must have worked as IRSEND can be executed – unfortunately with error messages:

master@TVHEADEND:/tmp/lirc-0.9.4d$ irsend SEND_ONCE LE55A956 KEY_1

do_connect: could not connect to socket

connect: No such file or directory

Cannot open socket /usr/local/var/run/lirc/lircd: No such file or directory

I am using a IR blaster that I assembled using these instructions: http://www.harctoolbox.org/arduino_nano.html

The hardware works perfectly as I tested it using IrScrutinizer.

Unfortunately I do not know how to configure GIRS with the hardware module. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thank you and cheers,

Chris

http://sdm.link/oxford

RE: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven

PS Using the (right?) device gives me:

root@TVHEADEND:~# lircd -d /dev/ttyUSB0

Warning: cannot open /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf

The file /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf – so I guess this is the file that needs to be configured correctly. But how??!

I am trying to install GIRS drivers for LIRC. I am using the newest 64bit version of Ubuntu and have installed the latest LIRC version (0.9.4d) like this:

cd /tmp

wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2

tar -jxf lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2

cd lirc-0.9.4d

aclocal && autoheader && autoconf

./configure --with-x --with-driver=girs

make && sudo make install

Install must have worked as IRSEND can be executed – unfortunately with error messages:

[hidden email] irsend SEND_ONCE LE55A956 KEY_1

do_connect: could not connect to socket

connect: No such file or directory

Cannot open socket /usr/local/var/run/lirc/lircd: No such file or directory

I am using a IR blaster that I assembled using these instructions: http://www.harctoolbox.org/arduino_nano.html

The hardware works perfectly as I tested it using IrScrutinizer.

Unfortunately I do not know how to configure GIRS with the hardware module. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thank you and cheers,

Chris

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: Cannot install GIRS driver

Bengt Martensson-2
On 03/09/17 14:42, Chris van Hoven wrote:
 > I am trying to install GIRS drivers for LIRC. I am using the newest
 > 64bit version of Ubuntu and have installed the latest LIRC version
 > (0.9.4d) like this:
 >
 > cd /tmp
 >
 > wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
 >
 > tar -jxf lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2

(Aside: consider

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/lirc/git
)

 > cd lirc-0.9.4d
 >
 > aclocal && autoheader && autoconf
 >
 > ./configure --with-x --with-driver=girs

--with-driver is obsolete, and I *think* --with-x too.

See below.

 > make && sudo make install
 >
 > Install must have worked as IRSEND can be executed – unfortunately with
 > error messages:
 >
 > master@TVHEADEND:/tmp/lirc-0.9.4d$ irsend SEND_ONCE LE55A956 KEY_1
 >
 > do_connect: could not connect to socket
 >
 > connect: No such file or directory
 >
 > Cannot open socket /usr/local/var/run/lirc/lircd: No such file or
directory

Sigh... Why the Lirc configuration does this as default, after all these
years, is beyond me ... If you configure with

--sysconfdir=/etc  --localstatedir=/var

alternatively

--prefix=/usr

I think it should work.

 > I am using a IR blaster that I assembled using these instructions:
 > http://www.harctoolbox.org/arduino_nano.html
 >
 > The hardware works perfectly as I tested it using IrScrutinizer.

Interestingly enough, all the problems are with Lirc, none sofar with
Girs/AGirs...

 > Unfortunately I do not know how to configure GIRS with the hardware
 > module. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

First thing to try is

% mode2 --driver girs --device=/dev/ttyUSB0

Greetz,

Bengt

http://sdm.link/oxford

FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven

Ok, mode2 gives me this (after sudo -i):

mode2 --driver girs --device=/dev/ttyUSB0 Using driver girs on device
/dev/ttyUSB0 Trying device: /dev/ttyUSB0 Using device: /dev/ttyUSB0 Running
as regular user master

So, something is happening.

Unfortunately irsend fails again:

root@TVHEADEND:/var/run/lirc# irsend SEND_ONCE LE55A956 KEY_1
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: Connection refused
Cannot open socket /var/run/lirc/lircd: Connection refused

I created a lircd.conf ind /var/run/lirc. The lircd.conf is workings  as I
used it before with a different solution.

PS I did recompile using

cd /tmp
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
tar -jxf lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
cd lirc-0.9.4d
aclocal && autoheader && autoconf
./configure --prefix=/usr
make && sudo make install

Rebooted after that

http://sdm.link/oxford

On 09/03/17 15:30, Bengt Martensson wrote:
> On 03/09/17 14:42, Chris van Hoven wrote:

> --with-driver is obsolete, and I *think* --with-x too.

Yup. Which makes me think you are following some ancient guide...

You might want to try http://lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html
(which also describes lirc_options.conf).

>  > do_connect: could not connect to socket
>  >
>  > connect: No such file or directory
>  >
>  > Cannot open socket /usr/local/var/run/lirc/lircd: No such file or
> directory
>
> Sigh... Why the Lirc configuration does this as default, after all these
> years, is beyond me ... If you configure with

It's because of GNU conventions. Basically, a default-confígured
installation should not clash with the rpm-maintained /usr hierarchy
-that's what we use /usr/local and /opt for.

> --sysconfdir=/etc  --localstatedir=/var
>
> alternatively
>
> --prefix=/usr
>
> I think it should work.

Ypu probably want --prefix=/usr. On many systems you also want to set
--libdir, but the value is platform-dependent.

>  > Unfortunately I do not know how to configure GIRS with the hardware
>  > module. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
>
> First thing to try is
>
> % mode2 --driver girs --device=/dev/ttyUSB0

Indeed,

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

On 09/03/17 16:20, Chris van Hoven wrote:

> Ok, mode2 gives me this (after sudo -i):
>

> mode2 --driver girs --device=/dev/ttyUSB0 Using driver girs on device
> /dev/ttyUSB0 Trying device: /dev/ttyUSB0 Using device: /dev/ttyUSB0 Running
> as regular user master

You need to verify that mode2 outputs data on stdout when receiving
keypresses. See mode2(1).

> root@TVHEADEND:/var/run/lirc# irsend SEND_ONCE LE55A956 KEY_1
> do_connect: could not connect to socket
> connect: Connection refused
> Cannot open socket /var/run/lirc/lircd: Connection refused

Have you started in lircd systemd service?

Really, you need to follow the configuration guide from last message.

http://sdm.link/oxford

RE: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven-2
That would not be possible as I only have send features enabled. It is an IR blaster that cannot receive any key presses - the hardware for that is simply not present (as I do not need it)

http://sdm.link/oxford

RE: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven
Hi!

lircd works now, but sending not. This is what I get:

root@TVHEADEND:~# lircd -d /dev/ttyUSB0
root@TVHEADEND:~# irsend SEND_ONCE LE55A956 KEY_1

hardware does not support sending
Error running command: Input/output error

On 09/03/17 16:20, Chris van Hoven wrote:

> Ok, mode2 gives me this (after sudo -i):
>

> mode2 --driver girs --device=/dev/ttyUSB0 Using driver girs on device
> /dev/ttyUSB0 Trying device: /dev/ttyUSB0 Using device: /dev/ttyUSB0
> Running as regular user master

You need to verify that mode2 outputs data on stdout when receiving
keypresses. See mode2(1).

> root@TVHEADEND:/var/run/lirc# irsend SEND_ONCE LE55A956 KEY_1
> do_connect: could not connect to socket
> connect: Connection refused
> Cannot open socket /var/run/lirc/lircd: Connection refused

Have you started in lircd systemd service?

Really, you need to follow the configuration guide from last message.

http://sdm.link/oxford

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Alec Leamas

On 09/03/17 16:59, Chris van Hoven wrote:
> Hi!
>
> lircd works now, but sending not. This is what I get:

First: please don't top-post - the archives becomes a mess.

Secondly: we need to inspect the lircd logs. Raise the loglevel to at
least 'debug' in lirc_options.conf, run the same irsend command and post
the logs.

By default, lircd logs to syslog; where this actually ends up depends on
your platform. You can also define a logfile, see lircd(8).

Cheers!

-alec

http://sdm.link/oxford

RE: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven
Ok, sorry - I have to get used to this mailing list, so please indulge me
:-)

What I did now: I removed EVERYTHING LIRC and reinstalled to get to a
defined state.

cd /tmp
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
tar -jxf lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
cd lirc-0.9.4d
aclocal && autoheader && autoconf
./configure --prefix=/usr
make && sudo make install

lirc_options.conf  was created in /usr/etc/lirc. I set the loglevel to debug
using loglevel = debug.

I tested this first, it returns an error:

lircd -d /dev/ttyUSB0
Warning: cannot open /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf
can't open or create /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid: No such file or directory

The directory it looks for lirc_options.conf does not match the directory
lirc_options.conf is created in. Shall I just create /etc/lirc and MOVE
everything in /usr/etc/lirc to this directory?

After that I would continue with the next steps....

Thank you and cheers...

http://sdm.link/oxford

On 09/03/17 17:40, Chris van Hoven wrote:

> Ok, sorry - I have to get used to this mailing list, so please indulge me
> :-)
>
> What I did now: I removed EVERYTHING LIRC and reinstalled to get to a
> defined state.
>
> cd /tmp
> wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
> tar -jxf lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
> cd lirc-0.9.4d
> aclocal && autoheader && autoconf
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make && sudo make install

There is a autogen.sh script for this...

> lirc_options.conf  was created in /usr/etc/lirc. I set the loglevel to debug
> using loglevel = debug.
>
> I tested this first, it returns an error:
>
> lircd -d /dev/ttyUSB0
> Warning: cannot open /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf
> can't open or create /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid: No such file or directory
>
> The directory it looks for lirc_options.conf does not match the directory
> lirc_options.conf is created in. Shall I just create /etc/lirc and MOVE
> everything in /usr/etc/lirc to this directory?

So,in this setup you need to add --sysconfdir=/etc as well to configure
before building.

You also need to make sure that the directory /var/run/lirc exists and
is writable.

What's your platform?

--a

http://sdm.link/oxford

RE: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven
My platform is Ubuntu (newest server version) on an Intel platform.

What I did now:

Installed everything AGAIN (clean), using the approach as described on
lirc.org, including your remarks below.

sudo apt-get install libtool-bin
cd /tmp
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
tar -jxf lirc-0.9.4d.tar.bz2
cd lirc-0.9.4d
./autogen.sh
./configure  --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make
sudo make install

Did lircd -d /dev/ttyUSB0 - no problem!

Edited lircd.conf, so it contains the correct IR codes.

Tried IRSEND, which failed :-(

root@TVHEADEND:/tmp/lirc-0.9.4d# irsend SEND_ONCE LE55A956 KEY_1
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: Connection refused
Cannot open socket /usr/local/var/run/lirc/lircd: Connection refused

http://sdm.link/oxford

RE: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven
Hi Alec,

So, last night I tried several methods of install:

1) ./configure
2) ./configure --prefix=/usr
3) ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc  --localstatedir=/var
4) PPA method as described here:
https://launchpad.net/~leamas-alec/+archive/ubuntu/lirc-0.9.4

Before each install I removed everything using "make uninstall" and (if
possible) deleting all directories I found using "find / -type d | grep lirc
". Also I rebooted every time to make sure nothing funny is going on.

Result:
- All methods had trouble with paths, so I guess that a (or several) path(s)
are hardcoded somewhere.
- Setting/Exporting LIRC_SOCKET_PATH did not help.
- In the PPA install girs was missing unfortunately.

Question: is there a previous version of LIRC that includes girs and might
handle paths better (if my theory is right)?

Thank you and cheers,

Chris

http://sdm.link/oxford

On 03/10/17 10:53, Chris van Hoven wrote:

> Hi Alec,
>
> So, last night I tried several methods of install:
>
> 1) ./configure
> 2) ./configure --prefix=/usr
> 3) ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc  --localstatedir=/var
> 4) PPA method as described here:
> https://launchpad.net/~leamas-alec/+archive/ubuntu/lirc-0.9.4
>
> Before each install I removed everything using "make uninstall" and (if
> possible) deleting all directories I found using "find / -type d | grep lirc
> ". Also I rebooted every time to make sure nothing funny is going on.
>
> Result:
> - All methods had trouble with paths, so I guess that a (or several) path(s)
> are hardcoded somewhere.
> - Setting/Exporting LIRC_SOCKET_PATH did not help.

I am sure there is an explanation; but Alec can help better.

You can
* use irsend with --device /var/run/lirc/lircd
* Use my "Python irsend" https://github.com/bengtmartensson/PythonLircClient
* Start lircd with --listen, and then use the TCP socket interface, for
example, IrScrutinizer as irsend (Sending hw -> Lirc)

IMHO (which is *not* Alec's HO) the third is preferable.

Greetz,

Bengt

http://sdm.link/oxford

RE: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven-2
Hey Bengt, I knew it: if I keep asking, you come up with some specific stuff :-)

The Python Script sounds VERY interesting, especially because I might be able to rewrite it into PHP in order to integrate it better in my home automation solution.

One question though: does the statement "It does not depend on anything but standard Python libraries." not contradict this statement "The name comes from the fact that the program requsts services from a Lirc server (lircd)."?
This implies that LIRC still needs to be installed and running correctly, right? It is a mere replacement for IRSEND and does not talk directly to your Arduino solution?!

Cheers,

Chris

On 03/10/17 10:53, Chris van Hoven wrote:

> Hi Alec,
>
> So, last night I tried several methods of install:
>
> 1) ./configure
> 2) ./configure --prefix=/usr
> 3) ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc  --localstatedir=/var
> 4) PPA method as described here:
> https://launchpad.net/~leamas-alec/+archive/ubuntu/lirc-0.9.4
>
> Before each install I removed everything using "make uninstall" and
> (if
> possible) deleting all directories I found using "find / -type d |
> grep lirc ". Also I rebooted every time to make sure nothing funny is going on.
>
> Result:
> - All methods had trouble with paths, so I guess that a (or several)
> path(s) are hardcoded somewhere.
> - Setting/Exporting LIRC_SOCKET_PATH did not help.

I am sure there is an explanation; but Alec can help better.

You can
* use irsend with --device /var/run/lirc/lircd
* Use my "Python irsend" https://github.com/bengtmartensson/PythonLircClient
* Start lircd with --listen, and then use the TCP socket interface, for example, IrScrutinizer as irsend (Sending hw -> Lirc)

IMHO (which is *not* Alec's HO) the third is preferable.

Greetz,

Bengt

Announcing the Oxford Dictionaries API! The API offers world-renowned dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an account today to start using our lexical data to power your apps and projects. Get started today and enter our developer competition.
http://sdm.link/oxford

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Alec Leamas
Hi!

On 10/03/17 11:32, Chris van Hoven wrote:

[lots of stuff]

There has been some advices given here, but I cannot see that you have
investigated those paths. To re-iterate:

- Please don't top-post. If cannot configure your email client, change
to something sane which allows you to produce an inline answer

- Please follow the complete instructions in the configuration guide how
to run lircd, or use the instructions in CONTRIBUTE.md.

- Please enable the lircd logging and post the logs

Besides, there are no hard-coded paths whatsoever. Wherever the daemons
and tools are installed, thay are usable - it's just a question of
giving e. g., lircd the proper command line options so it uses the
proper directories and files. Using lirc_options.conf is just a
convenient way to specify those command line options

BTW, referring to the configuration guide, editing /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
probably isn't what you should do.

Cheers!

-alec

http://sdm.link/oxford

On 03/10/17 11:32, Chris van Hoven wrote:
> Hey Bengt, I knew it: if I keep asking, you come up with some specific stuff :-)
>
> The Python Script sounds VERY interesting, especially because I might be able to rewrite it into PHP in order to integrate it better in my home automation solution.

One of the reasons for writing it was to demonstrate that there is no
magic in irsend; it is easy to write that, *independently* of the Lirc
system. Here is a Java version:
https://github.com/bengtmartensson/JavaLircClient So by all means make
your PHP version.

> One question though: does the statement "It does not depend on anything but standard Python libraries." not contradict this statement "The name comes from the fact that the program requsts services from a Lirc server (lircd)."?
> This implies that LIRC still needs to be installed and running correctly, right?

No, I am ready to defend that statement. It is a self-contained program,
that can run on any platform supporting Python3, regardless of Lirc
support on *that* platform, using TCP networking as the preferred way of
communicating. It does not need any of the Lirc sources. Of course, it
is kind of useless unless you have a Lircd somewhere to talk to...

 > It is a mere replacement for IRSEND

yes

> and does not talk directly to your Arduino solution?!

for that, use a terminal program.

Greetz,

Bengt

http://sdm.link/oxford

RE: FW: Cannot install GIRS driver

Chris van Hoven-2
Hi Bengt,

In fact I was thinking about a terminal program solution, as this means best performance, at least in theory. But that would mean two things:

- sending raw codes instead of the codes I use in lircd.conf (ie KEY_POWER 0x40BF)
- Having the possibility to use it like irsend (with parameters) or accessing the usb port directly with php (similar to fsockopen in ip). Or is it as simple as "echo 0x40BF > /dev/ttyUSB0"?

Correct?

There must be more to it, as the Arduino needs to know the other IR parameters, ie:

  bits           16
  flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

  header       4503  4479
  one           566  1663
  zero          566   548
  ptrail        568
  pre_data_bits   16
  pre_data       0xE0E0
  gap          107672
  toggle_bit_mask 0x0

Cheers,

Chris

http://sdm.link/oxford

On 03/10/17 17:12, Chris van Hoven wrote:
> Hi Bengt,
>
> In fact I was thinking about a terminal program solution, as this means best performance, at least in theory. But that would mean two things:
>
> - sending raw codes instead of the codes I use in lircd.conf (ie KEY_POWER 0x40BF)

For example, using the AGirs/Infrared4Arduino firmware for the Arduino,
https://github.com/bengtmartensson/AGirs you can have it recognize
either some protocols with parameters "transmit nec1 122 29" or or using
named commands like "named my_device  my_command". In the latter case,
the named commands have to be configured in. Not that IrScrutinizer can
generate Arduino code automatically. (Export, select export format
Arduino/Infrared4Arduino.)

> - Having the possibility to use it like irsend (with parameters) or accessing the usb port directly with php (similar to fsockopen in ip). Or is it as simple as "echo 0x40BF > /dev/ttyUSB0"?
>
> Correct?

At most for testing. You will have to write some "communication module"
for bidirectional communication, call it terminal program if you wish.

Please also have a look at JGirs,
https://github.com/bengtmartensson/JGirs which basically can
functionally replace lircd.

> There must be more to it, as the Arduino needs to know the other IR parameters, ie:
>
>   bits           16
>   flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
>   eps            30
>   aeps          100
>
>   header       4503  4479
>   one           566  1663
>   zero          566   548
>   ptrail        568
>   pre_data_bits   16
>   pre_data       0xE0E0
>   gap          107672
>   toggle_bit_mask 0x0

Much to learn still you have, young padowan ;-).

Greetz,

Bengt

http://sdm.link/oxford