Arris VIP 2853

Fredric QJ Blåholtz
I've got this box from Swedish Bredbandsbolaget (firmware
4.6.1.telenor.33_161206_1056). They only supply the RF version of the
remote but IR works as well (36kHz). Logitech remotes have it in the
list and it works.
I got some codes from an old preprogrammed multi remote, but it was
missing some important keys like "OK" etc. I read it out with an audio
in connected IR detector with a 3V button cell (as it was a 3V
detector) built from plans found on lirc  pages, then built a
transmitter for the COM-port. I got some life but had to build the
most complicated version fed with USB voltage to make it work
reasonably (I recall using just a resistor and an IR-led when changing
region of the DVD-player I've got - but that was a different laptop).
Still a disappointment, not at all like any cheap remote working from
a far distance. Tuning the frequency didn't help much either. Tried
five different IR diodes, some desoldered from other remotes, not much
difference.
Sat for hours 1,5m from the Arris box with the laptop in my knee and
tried every logical combination of codes that could be derived from
the other codes. I got a reaction on some codes but nothing with
functionality except a few ones that were doubles.

I bought an IR remote from a competitor (Telia - there's at least one
more TV company that uses the same box), they use the same box, got
that the other day.
https://www.telia.se/privat/tv/produkter-tillbehor/produkt/fjarrkontroll-vip-1003
It worked pretty well, it's missing EPG, three buttons had changed
places compared to their titles (info, text, menu), the REC button
doesn't work nor the double button CH+ and CH- but I do get LED  flash
on the box for all these non working ones.
I swapped the button caps on "menu"  and "info" , then rewired the
traces between "info" and "text" and got a much correct working
controller apart from REC and CH-buttons. I could now add missing
codes to my programmable controller: OK, play/pause, rew, ffw, mute,
the four color buttons and power. So I've got an almost complete set
apart from the EPG and REC - for €9. EPG can be reached from menu
though.
The RF remote has two types of exit-buttons, one that says exit and
one that's a bent arrow - they work the same as far as I can tell.
There's a search button but the search function is usually mapped to
the yellow button anyway. It also has buttons for their play-service
and film-service but these are also mapped on color buttons and can be
reached through the menu. The last two missing buttons are the skip
forward and backwards buttons, the jump 5min in a recording so you can
skip commercials - the time can be changed in "settings" 1,2,5 or
10min.

Question is if someone has the Logitech multi and can share codes for
my missing buttons or perhaps the black Arris IR remote that looks the
same as the RF version, believe it's called REX IR on Arris's
homepage?
Then I could use WinLirc to program my multi.

I'd love an Android app of lirc where you could take a photo of your
remote and then map functions to where you touch the remote image.
Imagine swipe up and down if remote is zoomed in, swipe left or right
to swap controller. IR interface with battery cell hooked to the audio
(never got the double IR plug to work, too low voltage). I know there
are similar apps, haven't seen one with these functions (yet).

I read out the Telia Motorola VIP 1003 (controller mentioned above)
that is compatible with Telia VIP 2853, it's a lot of the the same
16bit codes as I already figured out but the pre-data is 0xF061
instead of 0x6170, maybe it just looks for the $61 value and then
checks the last 16 bits - or more than one code is working. The other
values in header are very much the same.

I did find Arris REX IR controller on eBay yesterday at reasonable
price, so I bought that, not sure if it will work properly though as
these companies are free to stuff in their own firmware and I suppose
if they invest in a bunch of customized remote controls with their
logo and stuff they want to make sure only that one fully works...
We'll see.

Best Swedish Regards, Fredric.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ML5TZDGY2BQRL
* Fairchild Channel F collector extraordinaire *
http://channelf.se - The Gallery of Channel F

Re: Arris VIP 2853

Bengt Martensson-2
On 02/26/17 14:29, Fredric QJ Blåholtz wrote:
> I've got this box from Swedish Bredbandsbolaget (firmware
> 4.6.1.telenor.33_161206_1056). They only supply the RF version of the
> remote but IR works as well (36kHz). Logitech remotes have it in the
> list and it works.

If I understand your long post correctly, you are looking for the IR
codes for the box mentioned in the Subject. https://irdb.globalcache.com
seems to have it. I translated their data to lircd.conf format, using
IrScrutinizer; file enclosed below.

..

Have a look at the JP1 project http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

> Best Swedish Regards, Fredric.

Hälsningar från München,

Bengt

lirc_2017-02-26_15-24-17.lircd.conf (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Arris VIP 2853

Fredric QJ Blåholtz
Thanks for the reply Bengt, I'll have a look at those links.

It seems their codes are the same as the ones I have managed to
collect, I'll see if Record works then I'm only missing EPG and the
two time-skip buttons.

I did however purchase a REX IR from the UK for €21, will see how it
works on the Bredbandsbolaget firmwared Arris VIP 2853. I know the
Logitech remotes have its own entry for the Bredbandsbolaget Arris VIP
2853 so either they just changed some labels (they did that) or the
have different codes as well.

I haven't googled but I'm guessing someone should have built/rebuilt
their own IR controller using a PIC-processor or similar using these
LIRC-codes?
I know a previous cable TV company (Canal Digital) I had were using a
PIC-chip in their remote - imagine a single IC, a capacitor, resistor
and an IR LED. Would be handy to add a simple serial interface to the
computer to control it directly or use it as a standalone controller.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ML5TZDGY2BQRL
* Fairchild Channel F collector extraordinaire *
http://channelf.se - The Gallery of Channel F

> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 16:06:23 +0100
> From: Bengt Martensson <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Arris VIP 2853
> To: [hidden email]
>
> On 02/26/17 14:29, Fredric QJ Bl?holtz wrote:
>> I've got this box from Swedish Bredbandsbolaget (firmware
>> 4.6.1.telenor.33_161206_1056). They only supply the RF version of the
>> remote but IR works as well (36kHz). Logitech remotes have it in the
>> list and it works.
>
> If I understand your long post correctly, you are looking for the IR
> codes for the box mentioned in the Subject. https://irdb.globalcache.com
> seems to have it. I translated their data to lircd.conf format, using
> IrScrutinizer; file enclosed below.
>
> ..
>

>> I'd love an Android app of lirc where you could take a photo of your
>> remote and then map functions to where you touch the remote image.
>
> Have a look at the JP1 project http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

>> Best Swedish Regards, Fredric.
>
> H?lsningar fr?n M?nchen,
>
> Bengt

Re: Arris VIP 2853

Bengt Martensson-2
On 02/27/17 13:34, Fredric QJ Blåholtz wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Bengt, I'll have a look at those links.
>
> It seems their codes are the same as the ones I have managed to
> collect, I'll see if Record works then I'm only missing EPG and the
> two time-skip buttons.

Or you identify ("learn") them using for example the hardware described
below.

> I did however purchase a REX IR from the UK for €21, will see how it
> works on the Bredbandsbolaget firmwared Arris VIP 2853. I know the
> Logitech remotes have its own entry for the Bredbandsbolaget Arris VIP
> 2853 so either they just changed some labels (they did that) or the
> have different codes as well.
>
> I haven't googled but I'm guessing someone should have built/rebuilt
> their own IR controller using a PIC-processor or similar using these
> LIRC-codes?
> I know a previous cable TV company (Canal Digital) I had were using a
> PIC-chip in their remote - imagine a single IC, a capacitor, resistor
> and an IR LED. Would be handy to add a simple serial interface to the
> computer to control it directly or use it as a standalone controller.
Check out my thingy: http://www.harctoolbox.org/arduino_nano.html which
should satisfy your requirements. You can generate code directly with
IrScrutinizer, using an IR library like Infrared4Arduino
(https://github.com/bengtmartensson/Infrared4Arduino). Enclosed is a
simple example. You can also use that hardware to identify ("learn") the
missing signals, provided that they are present on a remote in your
possession. Or you can boldly just try the remaining 256-36 signals
using NEC1 with the same device- and subdevice number. (Taking a slight
risk of bricking your device into account :-)).

Greetz,

Bengt

arduino_infrared4arduino_2017-02-27_18-17-14.ino (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Arris VIP 2853

Fredric QJ Blåholtz
Dear Bengt...

I compared the IrScrutinizer conversion with my own readout of the
Motorola VIP 1003 controller I bought, they are the same. Your
conversion is missing one button and it has two doubles, two color
button functions are the same as two other buttons.

How come the numbers are written with so many zeroes, they are only
32bits but numbers are 64 bit.
I had pre-data defined with 0x0F061, makes it a bit tidier - but still the same.
It's odd to me that the codes I had found earlier has pre-data 0x6170
and not 0x0F061...

The Bredbandsbolaget/Telenor version has "info" swapped for "text",
"text" for "menu" and "menu" for "info" with their remote controller
so these are not read from that version.
So still missing EPG and the two skip buttons.

I checked JP1, seems to be some programming interface for a "One for
All" controlled, I've got an old one of those, might be able to hook
it up, but I didn't see it had anything to do with mobile phones and
Android...
Interesting nonetheless.

Thanks Bengt for your help, still looking.

On 02/28/17 00:02, Fredric QJ Blåholtz wrote:
> Dear Bengt...
>
> I compared the IrScrutinizer conversion with my own readout of the
> Motorola VIP 1003 controller I bought, they are the same. Your
> conversion is missing one button and it has two doubles, two color
> button functions are the same as two other buttons.

I just converted the file from Control Tower, owned by GlobalCache. Feel
free to report the correction to them.

> How come the numbers are written with so many zeroes, they are only
> 32bits but numbers are 64 bit.

The Lirc parser parses them into 64 bit C longs, so my program is
simpler using 64 bits all of the time.

> I had pre-data defined with 0x0F061, makes it a bit tidier - but still the same.
> It's odd to me that the codes I had found earlier has pre-data 0x6170
> and not 0x0F061...

Read the following from the man page lircd.conf:

DISCLAIMER
        LIRC was designed to collect IR data and save it in a private,
compact,
        yet human readable format with the purpose of being able to
re-transmit
        (or re-recognize) these signals. It was not designed with the
goal  of
        providing  a  well documented and tested configuration file
format that
        could be used e.g., to generate arbitrary IR signals or to
convert them
        to  other formats. The configuration file should thus not be
considered
        a public interface to LIRC.

(Although Alec put it there, it is actually written by me :-) ). Having
said that, there are different ways of expressing the same thing. For
example, swap ONE and ZERO, and all of the codes will be complemented.
"Tidyness" is not an issue, for reasons quoted,

As previously said, either look at other sources (my list:
http://harctoolbox.org/IR-resources.html), or capture them.

> I checked JP1, seems to be some programming interface for a "One for
> All" controlled, I've got an old one of those, might be able to hook
> it up, but I didn't see it had anything to do with mobile phones and
> Android...
> Interesting nonetheless.

Right, it is about "button remotes".

Greetz,

Brengt

Re: Arris VIP 2853

Fredric QJ Blåholtz
Thank you again Bengt for your reply.

Still don't understand how 0x0F061xxxx can be the same as 0x0x6170xxxx
where xxxx is the same number but it doesn't really matter, but it
makes it harder to find codes. It could just so happen though it
supports both versions. I checked the open source code on this Arris
box looking for information on the hard drive option and there are
some IR options IIRC - but who knows how much is changed with the
companies' own firmware.

Readout with IRGraph looks different so there's definitely a difference.

I'll read out the Arris REX IR controller when it gets here, will see
if there's anything new.
If I get a complete set I'll try and figure out where I can upload the
Bredbandsbolaget version. Don't know if my Panasonic EUR7628010 conf
file ever made it to a database - with the nice ASCII image and
scanned image of the remote. I sent it to a few places and it bounced
on all of them.

/ Fredric

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ML5TZDGY2BQRL
* Fairchild Channel F collector extraordinaire *
http://channelf.se - The Gallery of Channel F

>> The Bredbandsbolaget/Telenor version has "info" swapped for "text",
>> "text" for "menu" and "menu" for "info" with their remote controller
>> so these are not read from that version.
>> So still missing EPG and the two skip buttons.
>
> As previously said, either look at other sources (my list:
> http://harctoolbox.org/IR-resources.html), or capture them.
>
>> I checked JP1, seems to be some programming interface for a "One for
>> All" controlled, I've got an old one of those, might be able to hook
>> it up, but I didn't see it had anything to do with mobile phones and
>> Android...
>> Interesting nonetheless.
>
> Right, it is about "button remotes".
>
> Greetz,
>
> Brengt

Re: Arris VIP 2853

Bengt Martensson-2
On 02/28/17 12:12, Fredric QJ Blåholtz wrote:
> Thank you again Bengt for your reply.
>
> Still don't understand how 0x0F061xxxx can be the same as 0x0x6170xxxx
> where xxxx is the same number

I can not relate to this since I have not seen the files. You can try to
import them into IrScrutinizer to see the signals they send.

> but it doesn't really matter, but it
> makes it harder to find codes. It could just so happen though it
> supports both versions. I checked the open source code on this Arris
> box looking for information on the hard drive option and there are
> some IR options IIRC - but who knows how much is changed with the
> companies' own firmware.
>
> Readout with IRGraph looks different so there's definitely a difference.
>
> I'll read out the Arris REX IR controller when it gets here, will see
> if there's anything new.
> If I get a complete set I'll try and figure out where I can upload the
> Bredbandsbolaget version. Don't know if my Panasonic EUR7628010 conf
> file ever made it to a database - with the nice ASCII image and
> scanned image of the remote. I sent it to a few places and it bounced
> on all of them.

Aint that a bitch?

Try irdb.tk. Say I sent you.

Greetz,