A beginner question about Creative Infra drives

A beginner question about Creative Infra drives

SnortDog
Hi, first of all excuse me, I suppose that this question may be asked
frequently, but I really couldn't find any answer googleing...

I have a Creative Infra 52x AudioXcel Cdrom drive. It doesn't read cds,
but the controller board continue working.

I only want to know if it's possible to configure LIrc to control
something on my computer... Could it be?

Any recommended material about it?

Thanks a lot... and my greetings

Snortdog

--
L4@pinocho: ~$ cat /proc/version {Pipe} grep -i 'power in your hands'
Debian GNUine Perception

-Fortune Tip-
Accent on helpful side of your nature. Drain the moat.

Re: A beginner question about Creative Infra drives

Kim Klinkhamer
Hi Snortdog,

Not that I have one of these, but according to question 8 of the lirc faq (http://www.lirc.org/faq.html) the CVS version does.

Kim

>>> SnortDog <[hidden email]> 13/06/2005 14:44:33 >>>
Hi, first of all excuse me, I suppose that this question may be asked
frequently, but I really couldn't find any answer googleing...

I have a Creative Infra 52x AudioXcel Cdrom drive. It doesn't read cds,
but the controller board continue working.

I only want to know if it's possible to configure LIrc to control
something on my computer... Could it be?

Any recommended material about it?

Thanks a lot... and my greetings

Snortdog

--
L4@pinocho: ~$ cat /proc/version {Pipe} grep -i 'power in your hands'
Debian GNUine Perception

-Fortune Tip-
Accent on helpful side of your nature. Drain the moat.

WARNING: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or
privileged. They are intended for the addressee only and are not to be read,
used, copied or disseminated by anyone receiving them in error. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not
necessarily reflect the official views of Landcare Research.

Landcare Research
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz

Re: A beginner question about Creative Infra drives

Eli Crumrine
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:44:33 -0300 | SnortDog <[hidden email]>

> Hi, first of all excuse me, I suppose that this question may be asked
> frequently, but I really couldn't find any answer googleing...
>
> I have a Creative Infra 52x AudioXcel Cdrom drive. It doesn't read cds,
> but the controller board continue working.
>
> I only want to know if it's possible to configure LIrc to control
> something on my computer... Could it be?

Does it connect to the motherboard by something besides the ide cable (internal
usb/serial perhaps)?  If not, the ir signals are either transmitted over the ide bus
somehow or delt with completely locally by the cdrom drive.  Was the remote ever able to
control normal computer functions or just those for the drive?
So in short, unless there is a seperate cable for the ir signals, I would highly doubt
being able to use the remote/receiver.  You could, however, cobble together a serial
receiver with a few chips (many docs on lirc.org and elsewhere) and use the remote with
that.

Eli